So I BF then FF Then BF now FF!!

brownlieB

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
It's been a long four days but that's it FF it is, DS BF beautifully for the first 3 days then enforcement hit. And gee whiz my boobs swelled and swelled and the milk poured and they throbbed and it bloody hurt. DS couldn't latch, it was all a stress so we switched to Ff.

Disappointed I gave in so easy, I tried BF again that night and from 6pm till 1am!! Yep 7 hrs worth LO finally got enough out that he felt I deserved 4 hours sleep.

An hour later 2 two painful nips, two still engorged boobs, and one partially satisfied baby (he stopped for a bit but I knew he wanted more) we went back to the formula.

My boobs are throbbing again, but that's it I'm sticking to FF my first LO was FF and I have no quarms with it just wanted to try BF.

I can now happily, guilt freely say, it's not for me!!

Aww bless you!

I have had a similar situation. My daughter was FF, but I really wanted to give BF a good go this time.

I BF the first 24hrs until my nipples were cracked and bleeding. So got admitted back into hospital for BF help, so another 24 hours BF....then I got home and was still in so much pain I have him a bottle of formula to rest....then decided to pump and give it to him in a bottle until my nipples recovered....then I went back to BF but was dealing with engorgement and fast let down, so am currently sat at the computer with a pump strapped to each boob. He has 1-2 bottles of formula a day (in the night usually) and the rest is expressed milk. I would like to BF from the boob, but to be honest I am a little scared now.

Well done for doing what's best for you and your family x

Thanks, it was the latch in pain and a fast let down that was my problem too, it was so disheartening to have him latch, but then gulp back the milk because it came ou too fast, to then vomit it back up, then I was back to square one!

My nipples were also starting to crack, and I wanted to BF because I enjoyed it, but I was starting to dread the next feed due to the initial latch pain. So it wasn't healthy.

That's when I switched to formula again this morning. I knew it was the right decision when I felt relieved over it whereas last time I cried for weeks over it, not that there's any shame in it. Just when people asked how I fed him, I felt I had to explain myself whereas this time I don't care I know it's right for us. Xx

I think youre doing the right thing. It wasnt for me either but i stuck to it for 6 weeks and baby got used to it, and now im having trouble switching and it seems cruel cos breastmilk is all shes ever known.
I had a fast let down too and lots of vomiting, choking, and cluster feeding/fussiness. It never got any better. Hats off to those who stick with it through all the hard times but i think baby will benefit more from a happy mum :)

It's just such a precious time and they are so tiny and dependant on us. Now when I give him the bottle and he belches and falls asleep straight away, I know it was the right choice!

BF didn't work for me either. If I knew my baby as well back then as I do now even only ten weeks later I would have stopped even sooner than I did! He's an incredibly happy baby but every single time I tried to BF him he'd bawl crying. He was such a big baby (10lbs 10oz) & obviously needed a lot of feeding but he was getting absolutely nothing. So the morning after he was born I decided to switch to FF & never looked back. I couldn't believe the amount of people that asked how I was feeding the baby! I felt like I was constantly explaining myself but it was 100% the right decision for us.

I have been bf for 6 days now and nipples feel like there are on fire I am dreading the next feed because of the pain. I'm so torn what to do as I know he is getting enough as was weighed yesterday and only lost a small bit of weight and know it won't be like this forever but on the flip side if I switch to formula it's not all on me. I just worry that it will make him ill etc as it's so pushed how great breast feeding is. Just don't know what to do!!

The nipple pain is horrendous but it's worth pushing through it if you're keen to bf because it doesn't last for long. I used nipples shields for a couple of days to give them a break and by 14 days in they were loads better. Take your bra off and let your nips get some air too. You can always combi feed if you don't want to make a full switch over to ff - it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It obviously affect your supply to a degree but it takes the pressure off a bit. Good luck!

I know how you feel. I planned to EBF my LO but since day 1 she has been on both BM and FF due to low blood sugar since birth. I tried going back to EBF once home after a 4 day hospital stay but DD had nipple confusion. After 4-5 days home, she finally started nursing and now, at 3 weeks 3 days she is pulling and gumming my nipple to death and it's very painful. So Im pumping and FF. I feel guilty too as I really wanted to only BF but we are having a hard time with it. Atleast I tried. That's all you can do. I just wish formula wasn't so damn expensive! :growlmad:

I remember the early days, and yeah, it was so painful. BF was something we'd discussed a lot, and I wanted to give it my best shot but the first few days with the let down and engorgement, not to mention baby's first couple of growth spurts/feeding frenzy, I wasn't sure I could continue, and yet my very stubborn side wouldn't let me give up. Now, 5 months in I'm feeling guilty for making the move onto formula - which I chose to do after blocked ducts and Sophie clamping down with her gums as she's teething (ouch!).
The Breastfeeding mafia do make it very hard for ladies who choose to FF from the start, it's unfair to mount that kind of pressure on a new mum & baby. As long as yourself and babies are happy and healthy then what else matters!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->