So now im on iron tablets :(

MummyNovember

Hubb,DS & DD =]
Reaction score
I originally got put on spatone liquid iron an the 3wks I was on it I felt like I was dying I was so poorly. One of the worst things was constipation and the pain that comes with it. I went to the doctor to see if it was normal to feel that shoddy, to which she said my iron levels are fine its my haemaglobin levels that are low. Had another blood test at 34wks an my iron levels are now so low im basically anaemic! Im on 3x 200mg tablets every day probably now till the forseable further.

Spatone was a gentle iron supplement an it made me feel so poorly. Im really worried I will feel worse on these tablets an not be able to cope. Im due in a few weeks.

Also anybody got tips for constipation? I've got plenty of fresh fruit juices, Movicol, I eat plenty of fibre... I have constipation anyway an this could make it worse :( a friend recommended taking vitamin c tablets with my iron but idk if that will work or if im allowed to take vit c tablets...

Grrr, any advice or help would be great

Thanks xxx

Hi Hun, I'm sorry to hear you have to have this. I have a blood trait which meas I'm always anaemic. Ofcourse thy tested me recently and it was really low. I was on iron tablets last time I was pregnant that I couldn't tolerate, I was so sick on them. I'm going to my consultant on monday to work out if there is anything that my body will tolerate better. I'll let you know wht happens. I hope these tablets are better for you xx

Don't take vitamin c tablets hun because these are usually very high over the recommended % RDA intake (which is fine for when not pregnant but you don't want to overload on any vitamin when pregnant).

Vitamin C does aid the absorption of iron so I recommend taking your tablets with water then drinking 100/150ml orange juice. Take 1-1.5hours before any food. Try and avoid tea coffee as these will inhibit absorption.

I'm on iron too. 200mg twice a day, have been warned about the side effects.

A glass of vegetable juice every morning! Use carrots, spinach, cucumber and then add anything you want (celery is good!). Blend it all up like a smoothy and thin as you can get it....drink it all down and you wont be constipated, you will feel fantastic, your skin will glow and your baby will get an amazing boost of nutrients! (Not the yummiest smoothy ever but not horrible and the benefits outweigh the hassle)

Ensure you're asking your supplements with vitamin C. Vitamin C helps with absorption & constipation. I'd ask your pharmacist for the best brand of iron that doesn't cause constipation. I'm taking Eurofer 300mg. No issues. Add in a stool softener, lots of fibre & extra water.

Semi dried apricots are high in iron and fibre so a great way to get iron and combat constipation from the iron tablets. As well as taking tablets with orange juice - avoid excessive amounts of milk as this can inhibit iron absorption.

I am also on iron pills, 650 mg per day. I have not had any issues with constipation and honestly I couldn't tell you exactly why...though I think it's because I'm drinking so much water but I did still expect side effects. I've been on them for almost 7 weeks now I think and will for sure be on them at least until delivery.

I felt so ill before going on them and for a couple weeks after starting them. It was because I was so anemic though (my Dr constantly reminds me that if I slack off on taking them I will end up needing a transfusion). I still have some severely dizzy/nauseous/exhausted days, but they aren't nearly as often.

Like others said, water, OJ for better absorption, and avoid taking calcium supplements, calcium-rich foods, and caffeine right around when you take your pills. My Dr also recommended taking each pill either an hour before eating or two hours after eating.

Hope you feel better! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->