So painful, but latch is perfect? Help!

Louppey

Reaction score
I had these problems when I tried to BF Coralie. Tried and failed. I really don't want to fail again :cry:

I've been bf since Tuesday am. LO was born via ELCS. Since I started the pain wasn't there at all and has built up over the course of yesterday. I've managed a couple of feeds today with no pain at all. Mostly though its been getting worse. When LO latches I get dreadful nipple pain that pulls through the breast itself. It can be excruciating and takes my breath away. Sometimes it fades, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I get that pain with every suck. It can even feel like its pulling through from my upper arm.

Had my latch checked by five different midwives while at hospital. Everyone said it was perfect.

Please help me :( I'm desperate to suceed this time but the pain is so hard and I can't breathe through it. It's toe curling.

Also I think my milk night be starting to come in as LO has had white watery liquid running down her chin last couple of feeds. My pain started with Coralie when my milk come in. Does this sound right??

Basically help me please!!!!

Congratulations! A baby with tongue tie, lip tie or another oral problem can appear to have a perfect latch when viewed by an outside observer but the problem is on the inside of the mouth which cannot be seen while feeding. Has your baby been thoroughly checked for tongue tie or a similar problem? While some women do experience pain at first it usually subsides to an extent during the feed xx

Congratulations! Like summer rain says you could be dealing with a lip or tongue tie so it's worth getting it checked. Depends on the extent of the pain. My nipples got extremely sore in the beginning and it used tp take my breath away in the first couple of weeks when he latched, I remember crying out and clamping onto DH's arm. Again the latch was perfect. But it would subside after the initial latch, didn't go away but it subsided to a manageable level.

If you've got toe curling pain throughout the feed it's possible you're dealing with some sort of tie.

I am having the very same issue. The way you described the pain is exactly what I'm experiencing. My little man was born 24 days ago. He actually had quite a tight tongue tie which initially made breast feeding excruitatingly impossible. I felt like a failure when I had to say I couldn't take the pain any longer. I then began pumping whatever breast milk I could and topped him up with formula.

Around 4 days ago his tongue tie just spontaneously snapped, which is known to happen at times. This was a great relief to me as I thought it would mean that I would be able to go back to breast feeding.

Between the small amount of breast feeding and the pumping I've been doing, my nipples have been continuously sore to the point that I can't even have the water in the shower run directly on to them, nor can I have my bath towel brush against them after showering and now, since trying to start back at breast feeding, they're sorer than ever. Baby latches on fine and settles well but mummy just can't cope with the pain.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I have ordered some Avent Nipple Protectors which I have read mixed reviews on but to be honest, I'll try just about anything right now. I'm determined to breast feed but at the moment, I'm just not capable of coping with the physical pain.

I had toe curling pain for the initial 10-15 minutes of every feed when DS was first born. It has gotten a little better however I still have pain and feel like it's dragging from my underarms if I'm particularly full and his suck is strong. I also have a rather brutal let down. Sometimes it'll stop being an issue and other times you'll still feel it but become more desensitized to the feeling making it more bearable.

Between the small amount of breast feeding and the pumping I've been doing, my nipples have been continuously sore to the point that I can't even have the water in the shower run directly on to them, nor can I have my bath towel brush against them after showering and now, since trying to start back at breast feeding, they're sorer than ever. Baby latches on fine and settles well but mummy just can't cope with the pain.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I have ordered some Avent Nipple Protectors which I have read mixed reviews on but to be honest, I'll try just about anything right now. I'm determined to breast feed but at the moment, I'm just not capable of coping with the physical pain.

Lots and lots of lansinoh before a feed, after a feed and randomly if baby is off the breast for a while. Nipple shields may help though can also interfere with your baby's latch which I'd want to risk if you're just going back to breastfeeding after expressing.

As for the shower... Shower with your back to the water and let the water run over your shoulders so it is less intense. If you aren't already, switch to cotton breastpads over disposble ones as they can chafe.

Check for tongue tie, sounds very much like my ds1. Got his snipped, and never looked back xx

First CONGRATS! I need to go read your birth story :)

I had this and am now weaning off the pain. LO's latch is perfect but it is the right nipple that is AWFUL. I told the pediatrician that I need to bite down on an apple every time he latches on because it hurts so darn badly.

I've been told this is okay and normal. Sometime in the hospital LO did something to really chafe my nipple and it had been seriously horrific up until todayish. It still hurts and I still clench but it does progressively get better.

Are you applying any butters to your nipples? It seems that when I made him use that nipple more that we peaked at a point of pain and now its healing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->