• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So sad - Millie Thompson inquest

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
So sad reading the details that came out yesterday from the inquest about Millie's death - can't believe it was mashed potato that she choked on, just proves anybody can choke on anything :cry:

Think what her parents have done setting up Millie's trust and providing first aid training is amazing

I follow them on Facebook and couldn't believe it was mashed potatoe. It breaks my heart thinking what they are going through xx

I also follow them on facebook.

I dont understand the nursery workers version of what happened, she started choking but was coughing and crying. That isnt choking, choking is silent. They then cleared her mouth which i thought you never did, if a child is gagging you let them clear it.

If they are choking you give them back slaps. You dont put your fingers in their mouth because you could just push it further down.

I hope her parents get some answers

I also read that when they slapped her back she spat out something brown, I don't know its all sooo sad!

Can't even begin to imagine what the family are going through :(

I also follow them on facebook.

I dont understand the nursery workers version of what happened, she started choking but was coughing and crying. That isnt choking, choking is silent. They then cleared her mouth which i thought you never did, if a child is gagging you let them clear it.

If they are choking you give them back slaps. You dont put your fingers in their mouth because you could just push it further down.

I hope her parents get some answers

Whilst I predominantly agree with everything you said, I just have to disagree that choking is always silent - if it was my dad would be dead as I would not have heard him choking in a different room and gone to see what was wrong! It can make a whistle or wheeze sound as they struggle for breath. It is pretty distinguishable from gagging though :thumbup:

However definitely they should've done backslaps first, and reading the article I DO NOT understand why anyone working in a childcare setting would need to shout for help if a child started choking rather than do this straight away. This is absolute basic first aid and I would consider it absolutely neccessary to work with young children :nope: poor little girl.

They obviously failed her. Sounds like a case of paying no attention until it was too late.

wishuwerehere, I agree about the basic first aid. Problem is, that it isn't a requirement, so many nurseries there are only the required number of first aiders.

I also follow, reading about the emergency responder on the phone really upset me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->