So tired of negativity...

OrthoChick

Reaction score
Man, I am so tired of hearing the negative responses to my decision to have a home birth. Every time someone at work asks about where I am delivering, they look at me like I am the most naive FTM ever. I know that working in the medical field can make people hardened and shrug, saying, "better living through chemistry, because birth hurts...you'll be begging for an epidural", but I just don't need to hear it so close to my due date :(

Tell me something positive about home birth! I want good vibes coming my way!

People are negative about birth in general. With my first (planned to use hospital birth centre) I told people I planned to do it all natural and they would say "good luck but you will probably have to have an epidural" and then go on to tell me about their horror birth stories.

My 2nd son was a planned homebirth and it was the best choice. I had a good hospital birth (even though I didn't get to use the birth centre in the end) but being at home is soooo much better. You won't be begging for an epidural because you know you can't get one and you won't be pressured by anyone to even think about it. You will just be able to do your own thing and work out what works for you to deal with the pain. They are right, it does hurt but the pain has a reason as part of the process of getting your baby in your arms.

Try to block out all the negative people and focus on only positive supportive people. Good luck, I'm sure you will have a wonderful birth!

I'm getting a lot of the same... I'm wanting a natural birth and to breast feed and cloth diaper and everyone is being so darn negative.. I always get those snarky little "good luck" comments in their obnoxiously sarcastic voices.. it's quite maddening.. I need someone to support me!!!

I gave birth with only gas and air, no epidural. I had the same problem with negativity. Don't worry too much. I may be opting for a home birth next time though, I'm not sure if I'll even get to the hospital. To be honest I think the epidural slows you down.:flower:

Home birth is beautiful! I wouldn't give birth any where else! Don't listen to anyone! It's the Most sane, sensible and logical place to give birth. I think the ones that plan the hospital and the epidural are the Nutters!! :winkwink:

I made the decision quite quickly to just not talk about any of my choices because people are ill informed and do seem to insist on forcing their ignorant opinions upon me!

I'm quite blunt at the best of times so a quick 'Well, it's quite a personal decision so I don't wish to discuss how I intend to push my baby out from my vagina, thank you' usually ends any lines of questioning. Alternatively, just tell them to piss off :)

I had a struggle with that too with my family. But by that time I was pretty well read on facts and data so I had the figured to back up my reasons.
It's harder as a ftm. Because people think you're stupid.
Where do people get this idea that birth is 95% more deadly in a first birth anyway?!
Yea it takes longer than subsequent births.
Ina may gaskins guide to childbirth is an awesome read. I didnt have any classes and this is the book that helped me the most. You will be so happy with your decision!!

I got a lot of negativity when I said I wanted a home birth with my daughter. I ended up going to the hospital anyways because she showed up early and really fast (3 hours) so I wasn't ready. my son had been 2 weeks late and a 49 hour labour so it was unexpected. this time I plan to basically keep it a secret. no one needs to know and we only have one hospital so they aren't likely to ask. I will only have a midwife, doula, and photographer there anyways. my other children too if I can get a friend to come watch them at the time.

Check out Hypnobirthing hun, it gives women the option of having birth without pain just through getting in tune with our bodies and letting them do what they naturally intended to do :)

My FIL tells me I'm stupid and selfish for opting to have a home birth. He regularly asks if I have changed my mind, and I should reconsider. My mil disapproves but tries. My parents are all for it but worry and my other half is supportive but he is also apprehensive. My midwives are my biggest support. Everyone else has been really positive. On Facebook, everyone is like good on you and supportive.

Sod everyone else lovely, prove them wrong, ignore, water off a ducks back.
Xx

I told my DH that I didn't want pain relief drugs and he kept saying why make it harder on yourself if there are the facilities to make it easier? So I had to show him the scientific research about how natural, relaxed births tend to go smoother and that medical intervention and pain relief increases the chances of assisted deliveries and other problems.

I ended up giving birth 10.5hrs after my first sign of labour, 3.5 hrs after active labour started, with no pain relief, no monitors, no IV's/drips and no issues whatsoever apart from a small episiotomy.

I just had my home birth ten days ago, and I can only say positive things about it:

-It's so much easier to feel comfortable and relaxed when you're in a familiar and enjoyed space, and you don't have to worry about traveling to or from the hospital.
-You have so much more control over the experience and how you cope.
-Not everyone does end up wanting pain meds. Even during the most difficult part, I didn't once seriously wish for an epidural. My midwives had laughing gas and I didn't even want that!

I had the same 3 years ago when I decided to have my daughter at home, it was the best decision I ever made!

It was such a lovely experience, and I look back on it with very fond memories.

My second is due 5 months today, and I'm looking forward to another home birth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janebe345
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->