So worried about her weight gain. 2lb in 14 days?

S

Serene123

Birth: 6lb15
5 days: 7lb
10 days: 7lb6
13 days 7lb14
27 days: 9lb11

:|

I am getting her weighed again tomorrow (32 days) and I'm dreading it. I feel really bad for her getting so big but I have no control over it.

:dohh: :(

you are right in saying you have no control, talk to your hv for some advice..

ur doing great babe!

How much does she eat hun?

Some babies put on weight quicker than others I'm sure ...hav ethey given you any idea they are worried & what they are thinking!!?

Tbh I can't help because after a few visits everything was clinic drop-ins ...I went once & said I didn't wish to go again that I knew my contacts if I needed help or was worried about my baby in any way and both of my HVs have been happy with my decision so I haven't kept tabs on her weight other than the home visits, 1 clinic visit & the 3 visits for her jabs ooooo and when new HV came to say hi after we moved.

They are worried, she has to be weighed every week now. :(

She is having between 3-6oz every 3-5 hours. I also still put her on me a few times a day. I know it's more than recommended but she's a sicky baby and I never know quite how much she's had.

She's awake from 11pm-5am too! :dohh: Constantly wanting to suck and crying if she isn't. Trying to keep that time more to her comfort sucking on my boob than on a bottle.

I don't want to stop her eating so much or so often because of horror stories about babies starving.

The fact they've said she now has to be weighed every week and keep asking me loads of questions about her eating habits has got me so worried. They didn't really explain anything, or tell me if there was anything I could do. I guess there isn't really.

she doesn't look overweight though...the problem with weighing them when they're still so small is that their weight can vary massively throughout the day - if she's weighed just after a huge feed and just before a big poo, for example, she could be a whole 10oz heavier than she might have been an hour earlier. i you'll probably find that she has weeks where she doesn't seem to gain nearly as much too - i'm sure your HV will be able to give you some advice though x

Yeah they always seem to weigh her around lunchtime, and she only goes for 2 poos recently and they're both around 6-8pm. I have looked at the growth chart and she is almost the right weight for her length (54cm) but she has skipped up two of the growth lines? weight wise. I think that's what has worried them.

The fact they've said she now has to be weighed every week and keep asking me loads of questions about her eating habits has got me so worried. They didn't really explain anything, or tell me if there was anything I could do. I guess there isn't really.

They got me really worried about Sam's weight when he was about 8 weeks old - he'd been gaining loads then suddenly gained hardly anything...but I just carried on doing what I had been doing and his weight gain has been fine. I think some of them focus far too much on their growth charts and perfectly following the curves, and end up worrying us if they're not quite average when there's actually nothing wrong.

Some babies do gain weight rapidly at the start then slow down, some start off slow and soon catch up. Where is she on the growth charts compared to the mean line? x

[oh, and Sam was 8lb 13oz when he was born, never lost weight and I think he was 9lb 10oz at 4 weeks...and he's never been considered overweight, so I'm sure she's fine!]

Both her length and her weight are plotted on the dotted line between the mean line and the one above

Yeah they always seem to weigh her around lunchtime, and she only goes for 2 poos recently and they're both around 6-8pm. I have looked at the growth chart and she is almost the right weight for her length (54cm) but she has skipped up two of the growth lines? weight wise. I think that's what has worried them.

missed this post...sorry - that's why they were worried about sam. he went down growth lines and they acted as if something was seriously wrong but he was born bigger than average and he's been fine for the last 2 months...straight up the same curve.

Both her length and her weight are plotted on the dotted line between the mean line and the one above

She sounds like she's doing really well - and if her length is a bit higher than average you'd expect her weight to be too. Unless she keeps jumping up the growth lines I really wouldn't let it worry you - just keep feeding her when she's hungry and I'm sure it'll all settle down in a few weeks. You're not doing anything wrong though - I think they always ask to see them every week if they jump up or down the charts x

Well, when she was born her weight was the dotted line below the mean line. I really hope she evens out now, although I don't think she has any intention of doing so for a while yet. She is very much into her food still.

Even if she keeps eating as much her weight gain will probably slow down - in the first few weeks they sleep lots and they're using all their food energy for growth. Once they start being awake more and getting more active they'll use lots more energy for that, so the weight gain won't be quite so much x

She sounds like she's doing great hun! I would be more worried if she wasnt putting on weight.. If it helps Oliver was 6lb8 at birth and by 6months he was a wopping 21lbs! He's a big boy, but he's healthy and i know he will only eat what he needs. If your health visitor isnt concerned i wouldnt worry too much..i used to worry about Oli's weight gain too. But like you say you have no control over it. If she is not overweight on the chart then she is fine hun. Every baby is different and she will slow down, eventually. To be fair in the 1st few weeks babies do nothing but eat and sleep so she wont be burning any calories off at the moment..but soon there'll be no stopping her! x

I think it sounds fine also like the others said, and I dont think your over feeding her, feeding on demand is what she needs, I think your doing wonderful :)

I dont really understand why they're worried. I mean, if she was loosing weight then sure but for putting on?

Hope everything is ok

xxx

You are doing great hun :hugs:

Katie was born at 35 weeks + 5 days . She weighed 5 lbs 10oz, 4 weeks later on her due date she weighed 9lbs 13 oz :shock: She went off the scale on the charts but has come back in now and her weight has certainly slowed. She is now between the 75th and 91st percentile.

I wouldnt worry at all hun, shes a healthy hungry baby :hugs:

For 3 weeks in a row Kyle gained 1lb at a time..then he started to slow down. Im sure its nothing to get yourself worked up about, and maybe because shes so sicky it seems shes having so much xx

I don't think you've got anything to be worried about. I was asking my HV about Ruby's weight gain too today cause I thought she was gaining fast too, she said that it should slow down.
Ruby was was 6lb 2oz when born and at 4 weeks is 9lb 1/2oz, the past 3 weeks she's been putting on a 1lb a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->