solids not going well!!

lcside

Mummy to Erin
Reaction score
Need some advice please. Erin is soing to be 6 months the end of next week so hv has advised me to start feeding her solids. I started with babyrice which she didn't really like so have just gone onto homemade fruit / veg purees but she doesn't seem to want these either. She isn't impressed with the spoon and moans and won't let it go in her mouth, she won't even suck it off the spoon.
All she seems to want is her bottle of milk. I've tried giving her the solids at different times, even when she's not hungry but nothing is working. She just doesn't seem to like solids. :cry: Any advice greatly appreciated. xx

Have you tried applesauce? It is sweeter so she might take to it? If youve tasted formula it has a sweeter taste to it, im not sure about bm... But some veggies can be quite bland.

I would advise giving her the spoon to play with supervised for a bit, let her put it in her mouth and generally just explore and get used to it.

When Amelia first tried baby rice she screwed her face up and spat it out, it was like that a couple of times. Now she lunges towards the spoon and whines if i dont get it in her mouth quick enough!

I would say persist with just baby rice until she accepts it, if you keep chopping and changing then it will most likely be more confusing for her. Also double check that the temperature is just right, if Amelia's rice gets cold then she won't eat it.

Once she is readily taking the rice then you could introduce 1 new thing around lunch time say every 3 days (so you can check for allergies etc).

Good luck it is fun and she will start accepting it, its just a new big world and some babies take a little longer to adjust to new things.

My doctor told me that if she didn't take to it the first time, keep trying a few days later-she does not have to exactly 6 months and eating-if she is satisfied with her bottles for now, don't panic! Keep trying the rice cereal- and maybe try feeding it to her on your finger-it might work, because a spoon is a foreign object-then eventually you can move onto the spoon. :hug:

If you still don't get any luck with the baby rice, you could try baby porridge.

I tried this with Lewis as he hated baby rice too. He loved the porridge as it wasn't as bland as the rice, I found Cow & Gate do a good range.

Good luck x

Hiya :wave:
Mia wasn't keen on baby rice either, and I went across to Organix cereal, which she loves !! :)
Last night I held a Gluten Free rusk to her mouth, and she sucked away on it, giggling between sucks. I supervised her well, obviously, but rusks just melt into mush as soon as they hit liquid, so there was no danger of any lumps, as she's not biting down yet. You could try with a rusk..... Once she realises how yummy it is, she'll probably take the spoon frantically.... let her hold a spoon when you are feeding too.

Good Luck

Thanks ladies for all your advice, Erin was a bit better today. She ate some parsnip at lunch and seemed to like it. I tried her with rice again but she definately doesn't like that. I'll buy some cereal or porridge tomorrow. How much am I meant to be giving her? I made a batch and froze them in ice cube trays, she had one ice cube size but it didn't seem to satisfy her, she had 5oz of bottle straight after it. Is that normal?

I remember my boys would have a whole 4 month jar at 5.5 months, and then have a full 5 oz an hour later xx Glad things are going better. Mia doesn't like rice either :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->