Sorry, one more question from me. Eye drops/goop?

angel2010

Cart & Emma's mom, 1mc
Reaction score
What are your thought on newborns being given eye drops and/or ointment? I have read that it can cause blurring of vision which might make the bonding experience and the finding of the nipple not as successful. Any other reasons to skip them? My dh says that he wants it.

Why does he want it? We didn't know we had an option with our first. With our son we didn't give him this, because we were at home and I don't have any infections or STDs that we need to protect his eyes from, which is what the ointment is for... so he didn't need it.

It's not given at all in the UK, so I simply see it as an unnecessary intervention. :)

He wants it to help prevent neonatal conjunctivitis, which online, says can be caused by a blocked tear duct, bacteria or virus. He says "why not do it when it is such a small thing to deal with?".

The eye gunk is mostly to prevent STDs. I know for a fact I have none so I didn't have them give DD any. It was pointless.

I too agree that it is pointless. I know I don't have any stds, but my ob even requires testing at a prenatal visit. So even though i know for sure, he will know for sure too.

It's not even an option here, it just isn't done!

Another vote of "unnecessary intervention" here...

It blows my mind that in some states in the US you've got to claim a religious exemption to get out of vit K and / or drops.

Another vote of "unnecessary intervention" here...

It blows my mind that in some states in the US you've got to claim a religious exemption to get out of vit K and / or drops.

Seriously? That's outrageous

Never heard of this so we must not do it in the UK. Sounds unnecessary to me. None of my kids have ever had conjunctivitis as a baby - and even if they did, it can be easily treated at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->