Sorry, you can't ask Santa for that!?

Rags

Mother of 1 boy
Reaction score
Has anyone else had to talk there child out of something they planned to ask Santa for?

I've not had to do it once this year but twice already and I feel a bit rotten.

The first thing was easier to get around - DS wanted a Geiger counter (he's 7 and really into science and the periodic table). I've explained that there's no point having one at home as there's only a few things he can use it on and he shrugged and said that he'd thought as much.

The second thing is a Cozmo robot. I was actually quite up for getting it for him, it's expensive but I know he would have used it lots. Unfortunately it's operating app isn't compatible with any of the tablets or phones we have and it's way too much to buy a new tablet or phone just to run a robot. When I told him this he just sighed.

So I'm now down to the only other thing he's asked for, a didgeridoo - I've family in Oz sorting it out for me - just need to hope it arrives in time!!!

I work round it subtly and the girls know Santa doesn't give them everything on their hopeful lists.

On the day what they get takes over but in your case with the Robot if it had of came up I probably would have said maybe Santa knew it didn't work with his tablet ... hard one when you're put on the spot though!

I usually just say they can put it on their list but to remember that Santa may not think it's right for them, or may run out of them before he gets to your house, and in those cases he give you a surprise instead.
My eldest this year asked for a few things that were just far too expensive. A laptop, the one he had seen and wanted was £700! And a Go Pro camera which was over £300. I had to tell him I just couldn't afford them. He's 11 and has known since 8 what the Santa deal is. Anyway, I told him I could compromise on the camera and find one that does the same but is cheaper and he accepted that. I still felt bad having to say no.
At least in your case explaining that it doesn't work with the tablet you have means it isn't you saying no, it's the technology, and it's always an option for a later date when you are able to upgrade your tech.

I also said no to a cozmo if it makes you feel better.

As a pp said, when I was little my parents just told me that my list to santa was just a list of suggestions and ideas. I never imagined I'd actually get every single thing on my list (and I don't think I usually did). They also said if santa didn't bring a specific thing he'd bring a surprise instead. I was never disappointed, I knew beforehand I wouldn't necessarily get everything plus I was so hyped it was Christmas and all my presents that I doubt I noticed much.

I'm same as some others. I've explained to dd that she can ask for anything she wants, but Santa brings what he wants her to have. She may get some of the things she's asked for and she may not. This year, there are several things she's asked for that she's not getting.

My son asked for a phone, we said no! It's not great when it's what they really want but got to be done, don't feel bad

I also said no to a cozmo if it makes you feel better.

This! As cute and adorable and everything a robot could be, even making me want it, it was a no!

Mine is Playmobil. She's asked for it numerous times, I refuse to buy it due to having so many lego and Sylvanian sets.

DS wants a pet rat. I want to wait until he's a bit older to get him one as he's not ready to properly train and care for it yet. He accepted that Father Christmas can't bring living things but I think he's secretly harbouring a wish for it.

Holly asked for a pet mouse. Given my crippling fear of rodents I said NO! :haha:

We haven't had this yet. Although they do keep changing their lists and I've had to say they can't keep changing their minds as it might confuse santa lol

Thanks all, I don't feel quite so bad today. As some have said, growing up I never got everything on my list but come Christmas morning I was always delighted with what I had.
I'm glad he's not asked for a phone or a pet, they'd be big no's too.

I do love cozmo but technology is changing so quickly these days and the idea of the robot and a new tablet only to find out in six months that the app won't accept updates... It's happened to us before and left us with an unusable lump of tech!

I'm going to order a metal detector when I finish work on Thursday while he's at school, then I'll pick up a few interesting wee bits and all will be fine. Xx

I'm going to order a metal detector when I finish work on Thursday while he's at school, then I'll pick up a few interesting wee bits and all will be fine. Xx

This made me laugh when I realised what you meant, I thought you meant you were going to order a metal detector and use it to pick up a few interesting bits of metal to give your ds! :rofl:

This made me laugh when I realised what you meant, I thought you meant you were going to order a metal detector and use it to pick up a few interesting bits of metal to give your ds! :rofl:

That's so, so funny - and maybe not the worst idea at this stage!!!

Omg :rofl:

Mine was blu blu the baby dolphin ! I couldn’t justify the price for it! And was so close to buying it numerous times as it was only 1 out of 3 things she asked for! She’s only 4 so I kinda hyped up the Holly smaller dolphin and she seen it on TV and said aww that’s cute I’m asking Santa for that one instead ! Bingo !

I felt sly too but it will pass lol

Mine was blu blu the baby dolphin ! I couldn’t justify the price for it! And was so close to buying it numerous times as it was only 1 out of 3 things she asked for! She’s only 4 so I kinda hyped up the Holly smaller dolphin and she seen it on TV and said aww that’s cute I’m asking Santa for that one instead ! Bingo !

I felt sly too but it will pass lol

Well done you. I know what you mean about feeling fly - but I also feel quite excited about the whole thing!

I'm about to order the metal detector - I'll let you know if it helps me find anything else for under the tree!!!:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->