SPD or ASD?

Reaction score
yesterday at my son's playgroup the developmental pedi said that from watching my DS play, she thinks he has SPD and she's certain it's not ASD.

i know most of you guys arent aware of my encounter with this woman last time. basically she's ignorant and thinks all ASD kids are the same :roll: so i'm not sure what to think of her opinion about SPD.

so my question is, if your child has SPD and no form of ASD, how did the doctors figure that out? like, what were the key factors that ruled out ASD?

Girls are often overlooked for ASD diagnoses due to appearing more social than boys often appear, but that doesn't make her any less autistic.

If she has social difficulties AND sensory difficulties, embrace the autism label and get her help for that.

Girls are often overlooked for ASD diagnoses due to appearing more social than boys often appear, but that doesn't make her any less autistic.

If she has social difficulties AND sensory difficulties, embrace the autism label and get her help for that.

it's my son, my daughter is only 5.5 months :) lol. but yes, he has social issues and sensory, as well as language and cognitive delays.

What is SPD? My daughter has two diagnosis' right now. She has ASD (diagnosed when she was 2 - almost 3 years old...actually we are coming up to the 4 year 'anniversary' date of her diagnosis...she is almost 7 now). Last year a occupational therapist diagnosed her with Apraxia AND ASD as well, and I take that diagnosis with a grain of salt, really. I mean, her advice was to keep her active..so well, we are an active family anyways, but we keep her active. But, her autism is an on-going issue that affects every aspect of her life. My advice, find someone qualified.

SPD is Sensory Processing Disorder, where a lot of the traits are mistaken for ASD traits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->