SPD/PGP.... Advice please, worried about labor !

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
Hi ladies, looking for some advice or experiences with SPD/PGP and dealing with labor..... My dr has sent me for physical therapy and need to wear a brace, he told me it's pretty severe already and be prepared for an ugly labor..... This terrified me:( what will happen? I really don't want to have a c sec , it's my worst nightmare.... But he said I could also fracture pelvic bones during labor also..... Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.....

As of now, I can't even cross my legs the pain is so bad, and I can barely sleep because laying down is almost impossible ..... I have also been losing plug over the past 10 days and having much more BH contractions .....
Does labor come earlier with this ?

He told you to prepare for an ugly labour?? Omg thats terrible!

Yes spd can make things more intense but its totally do able!
Even though spd is horrible on the pelvis it is actually to a womens advantage vs women who hasnt got spd. It makes your pelvis wider because its softer lowering chances of baby becoming stuck.

It is vital you do not give birth on your back.

I had spd with #2 & #3. #2 being much much worse! I went to 41+2 with both, it doesnt mean your labour will start sooner.

It is important to keep mobile in your labour to help baby come down in best position.

Giving birth in water helps greatly, i had #3 in water on saturday just gone it took away all the pain and pressure that my mind was fully on the labour.

I gave birth on all 4s for my second.

Thanks for the input and congrats on your new bundle of joy!! :)
Yes ! He told me unfortunately he had to be honest and to prepare for ugly! Geez that was a bit beyond discouraging! Lol :(
Why can't you deliver on your back? Good to know.... Are you able to use drugs? I read they push away from drugs because they don't want it to mask the pain from over extending pelvic area.... I really wanted to try a natural birth this time around, but I had awful back labor both times before.... Making me scared to death to go natural! Ahhhh!!

Thanks for the input and congrats on your new bundle of joy!! :)
Yes ! He told me unfortunately he had to be honest and to prepare for ugly! Geez that was a bit beyond discouraging! Lol :(
Why can't you deliver on your back? Good to know.... Are you able to use drugs? I read they push away from drugs because they don't want it to mask the pain from over extending pelvic area.... I really wanted to try a natural birth this time around, but I had awful back labor both times before.... Making me scared to death to go natural! Ahhhh!!

Thank you :) i think hes totally wrong. Im not going to lie i can feel alot discomfort in my pelvis/thighs.

I was never told i couldnt have drugs but it was in my birth plan not to part my legs open that i would do best i could.

I went completely natural it was pain from contractions i had to work through not spd. You go for it!

I'm not sure about that. My dr suspects I also had it with my DS. Unfortunately I had a different midwife who wasn't as thorough as my current. I had a lot of discomfort with him BUT labor was glorious. Fast and furious. And It worked to my advantage. I sat up and he literally fell out. So as a pp said for me it did work to my advantage.

I look at it like this. With DS I was in such constant pain because of it I almost didn't make it In time. But the time I realized it was actually labor it wasn't much worse than the daily pain I felt with the spd. Same again. Exercise makes it twice as worse tho.

Thanks ladies!! This is definately helpful, it was nice to hear it could go a couple different ways too.... Doesn't freak me out as bad lol.... I just can't imagine the pain later compared to what I feel now..... The weird thing is I actually get relief when sitting Indian style or legs further apart.... Not sure if that makes things worse in the long run, ill have to ask when I go to the physio in a couple days....

The most frustrating is the fact I was very active before pregnancy.... I got hit with hypermesis til 4 months , then was put on bed rest for a month for spotting, then this came alone.... My body is turning to jello and it's so not me :( I feel so down about it too.
Are there any easy exercises recommended?

The most frustrating is the fact I was very active before pregnancy.... I got hit with hypermesis til 4 months , then was put on bed rest for a month for spotting, then this came alone.... My body is turning to jello and it's so not me :( I feel so down about it too.
Are there any easy exercises recommended?

I'm pretty sure there are exercises out there. I've done nothing. Honestly. The 3rd trimester has kicked my butt. I can't truly complain because I know it could be worse. But I can't exercise because it gives me heartburn and the spd gets worse. Just found out today my insurance doesn't cover a belt either. Sigh. Out of pocket expense. I can't remember exercising when it got bad with my DS.

I feel you on the exercise. I was ritualistic about it. It just made me feel really good. I miss it. Terribly but I know I can get back to it and pregnancy is only temporary. Plus I really don't want to do any permanent damage. Don't google spd. Holy horror stories!!

Thanks for the heads up on not googling spd !! Lol I'm a sucker for that! Ya, I prob couldn't exercise if my life depended on it :/ this is just a truly awful experience:/
What exactly is the belt? I'm supposed to get one when I see the dr fri....does it go under your clothes or over ?

I had HG whole 9 months ugh. Happy to report within 3 days everything was back to normal, just amazing! Turns out i had a smaller than 'average' placenta.

Funnily enough i found more relief having open legs to closed, different from the last.

I think just general gentle walking was enough to keep my pelvis ticking over.

Honestly, I'm very surprised that your doctor put it like that:( I had pretty bad SPD, and had a completely natural labor (other than Pitocin). I also have bladder, rectal, AND uterine prolapse from the birth of my first son. Even with all of those things, my doctor was never concerned about my labor and was in completely agreement with my plans to use a birthing ball to sit on during most of my labor. The SPD (or prolapses, for that matter) never became an issue, and the relief was INSTANT once my baby was born. Don't let the fearmongering get to you, comments like that will only psyche you out. Listen to your body, good luck!:)

Thanks so much!! I also have the bladder prolapse from my last son ..... I had my first physical therapy apt and she was very positive about the Birth, she also said it should be to my advantage hopefully baby will just pop right out lol..... I didn't get much relief , she manipulated my bones and tried to push them back into place, I have to go 2 x wk for a few wks , stretches at home, ice my lady parts daily and wear a brace ..... Ugh. I hope it helps. !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->