Speech disorder ?

lovehearts

Reaction score
Hi,

After begging my hv for a referral at 2 (which was refused) my son was referred at his 2.5 year check (which I had to chase). We waited 6 months to be assessed to be told he has severe speech delay and put on another waiting list for therapy. Wait another 3 months to be told it will be at least another 2 months so I gave up at this point and paid privately. We saw a lady on Thursday who said tyler actually has speech disorder, she said his brain is wired wrong and he can't produce the sounds he wants as his brain is sending the wrong signals.

Basically I came here to find other people in my situation. To see what kind of journey we are about to embark on. If your child has speech disorder how is speech therapy helping? Those of school age how is it effecting them at school? My biggest fear is that Tyler will be left out and picked on :(

X

My son has autism and was more or less speechless for 5 years of his life. He said the odd word, here or there but never really full sentences.

I do believe speech therapy has helped him though and he is still going, although it is in school (he's now 7). Pre-school was playing games like lotto and washing the baby etc, teaching him basic signs like more, cake in makaton although he never got passed the sign for more, then they tried him on PECS which did wonders not only for his communication but also his speech. We made sure he try and repeat the words that where on the card when he asked for something. Slowly he learnt all the words that were important to him and then could ask for a drink/dvd etc without using the card. When he started skill he still had limited language and although it did improve in the first two years, you can really notice it now he's in year 2 compared to reception. In the time, he's learnt how to use sentences, hold a short conversation, give people instructions and read. Whilst he's at school we didn't do much in the way of homework as he's had a long day at school, but we get tons to do over the holidays to make sure he stays on top of it. Whilst he was in pre-school we did do it daily more or less for 10-15 minutes.

As for is Ossian picked on. Nope. He goes to the local village school though, went up with the children from the pre-school who already knew him and has a teaching assistant with him at all times for his autism though so that probably stops the bullying. However, everyone in the village loves him. If we see them in the park they will all play with him, at school people will help him as much as they can, at the christmas concert one boy even helped Ossian with his dance and it was really sweet of him as he didn't have to do it.

I have had many positive experiences with him and the other children thankfully. I'm guessing your son is in a pre-school/nursery already? If not I would suggest doing so that all the kids will be going up together already know him as I think it helped Ossian. Also any other activities you can do to get him socializing and practicing his speaking skills will help. This could be playing games, going to the park, letting him pay with cash or joining a singing or other groups. Ossian really enjoyed his music class and did music with mummy and he was singing along improving his speaking, but he loves music. Right now he's learning to play the piano and doesn't even mind practicing!

Thank you for your reply. It's so nice to hear the positive things about school. Tyler does attend play school which becomes preschool in September so all the children will move together so like you say he is already part of the group. I do hope he had a positive experience like your son.
He is amazingly confident and talks all the time he just can't be understood. I'm trying to keep his confidence high so he keeps trying.

Once again thank you for replying xx

Hi lovehearts, your son sounds very similar to mine and they're around the same age aswell. The NHS waiting times ridiculous aren't they! Leo was first seen when he was 22 months old and he's going to be 3 in August! He's had a couple of group therapy sessions and been assessed by a paediatrician. The next step for us is his speech assessment next week. He's been unofficially diagnosed with Verbal Dyspraxia which is where his brain can't produce the sounds correctly so it sounds the same as what you've been told and maybe that's the disorder your son has too?

I've just created a Speech delay/disorder group on Facebook for ladies from here to support each other on. If you want to be added then message me your fb name and I'll send you a friend request xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->