Spelling help - Lettie or Letty

Middysquidge

Two girls and a manfriend
Reaction score
Hey girls,

We're planning on calling our second daughter Violet Jane but also using the old fashioned nickname Letty/ie for her as this is what a lot of Violets used to be nicknamed. We're very much traditionalists and don't really like modern adaptations of name spellings, so would like to use the most traditional or old fashioned spelling of this nickname as possible but I'm struggling to find it out.

Does anyone know if it's traditionally Lettie or Letty or have a reason for a preference? I know it's also a nickname for the name Letitia and there was an actress called Letitia Lind who used Letty Lind but there's also a character in the film Howls moving castle who goes by Lettie! Rambling now! Any help welcome! Oh big sister is called Eva!

Thanks,

Jasmine x

I prefer Letty although both spellings remind me of lettuce! I don't know why! Xx

Ha, i know what you mean but Lettie reminds me of lettuce and Letty doesn't! X

Ha random isnt it! I like Letty more as I think of it as a name whereas Lettie seems more made up? Like lotty rather than lottie for nn charlotte xx

Yes, I agree I'm leaning towards Letty too! X

i'm Letta :)

but anyways, i like lettie spelling better for some reason?

I think Lettie looks more girlie, like Dottie whereas Letty seems more masculine to me, such as Dotty (I think of a Dalmatian)

I dunno, it's just the way I see it? :shrug:

I like Lettie :) love the name Violet too, so cute.

I like Letty, Lettie reminds me of a puppy..not sure why lol

i dont know....I tend to lean with Lettie because its cutesy and I fins Letty more mature.

Thanks for your input girls, it seems pretty divided at the mo, I just wish I knew which version was more traditional Or least knew what I preferred! X

Personally I like Lettie. But I have a thing with 'ie' ending names. I just think they look cuter. Its a beautiful and girly nn however its spelt though :)

Ooh I love it! Either way is so pretty <3 I have a niece called Hettie (in her case not short for anything) and I've always loved it :)

Personally I would stick with Violet, its a lovely name in its own right.
I don't like the shortened version of it. And TBH if her name is Violet for everything official nursery, school etc I think you'll confuse a tot to call her anything different. Once she is older then it should be her choice if she wants to allow it to be shorten or not.

Thank you, yes I do see what you mean and I love the name Violet so much, it's just that I also really like nicknames but I'm not overly keen on Vi. Although we sometimes already call her Vi pie, who knows! I actually think I like the spelling Letty if I was going to choose even though I'm in the minority! Appreciate all of the opinions, thanks x

Or you could use it as a private nickname, there's a name for it, rather than something that you would formally write down.
But personally I'd stick with Violet or vi if that is coming more naturally.

Yes, maybe it doesn't need writing down just something we call her, I think the best thing to do is see what happens naturally! Thanks x

There's lots of kids who have short versions and the full versions on their school notes etc! Am I the only one who doesn't think it would confuse the child at all?! That's totally normal x

I don't think it would confuse her, if you think about it you get lots of girls names like that like I know two sisters named Charlotte and Beatrice but they get called Lottie and Beaty it's perfectly fine!

I just think I'll see what we all end up calling her when she's here! I just wanted to get it clear in my head, how I would spell the nickname should I want to write it down! We may call her Letty or Violet or both! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->