Spina Bifida - long post

MummaBear16

Reaction score
Hello..

On Friday I found out my little boy has spina bifda. I went in expecting to just find out if my suspicons were right about him being a boy, and see how big he had grown. Literally as soon as the wand hit my belly the us tech announced he is definitely a boy!

I was very happy! The scan was expected to take 45 mins. Nearly the whole time I was waiting to see a nice clear side profile of my baby boy, but the scan never got to that. One hour had gone by, and all we had seen was his brain and spine. I didn't think anything of it, as the tech kept saying she needed him to flip around for a better view. An hour and a half went by... and the tech left the room for about 15 minutes. The whole time she was gone I was walking around trying to get baby to flip over..

She finally came back and apologised for taking so long, I was still unaware and then she said I won't be needing the gel on my tummy and could wipe it off. I was surprised, as the scan was not yet finished in my mind. She then said she is so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like he has spina bifida.

I looked at her and smiled awkwardly and said OK. The she walked us down to the pregnancy assessment center and we waited to speak to doctors. Waiting in there behind a curtain, I busrt into tears :( What the hell just happened... what does this all mean! My OH rang up work and advised he wouldn't be going in that night.

The doctors said on the scan it is pretty obvious :( I won't know any more until Wednesday when I am meeting with all of the high risk team at the hospital
. I have no idea what to expect. I am fairly sure it isn't the mildest form of spina bifda, since they said they can see the fluid buldging through the spine break.

I've just cried and cried :( I have had everyone ringing and messaging asking for the news of a boy or girl, and it's been so hard. I have only told close family and a friend. I feel so stressed my stomach hurts :( I have another scan on Monday morning so the hospital can review for Wednesday. I just don't know what to do, or think. I'm not even sure of the point of my post... just needed to get ot all written down and off my chest. I keep waking up hoping it was all a bad dream, but then it's all still real :(

Thanks for reading if you got this far.. it would be lovely to hear from anyone who has gone or is going through this. I don't know anyone who has, and it feels incredibly lonely like no one could possibly know.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this stressful time and I often think the 'unknown' period is the worst point.

There is a member on here that I am friends with who had a daughter with spina biffida several years ago now. She is called Tegansmamma. They have just had a new baby so not sure how much she is on, but was active recently

I know it feels like it right now but the sky isnt falling it is just a different road. There is a poem called Holland which might be nice to read right now.

Obviously you wont know till next week what you are dealing with or what they will be able to offer you and your boy but massive hugs

Big Hugs! X it's bad news, but you'll get through it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->