Spinal fusion

nexis

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else on here has had a spinal fusion? I had my spine fused at L5 in 2008 after a really bad slipped disc. It's always caused me problems, some reduced mobility and quite a bit of pain but it's got worse of late and it worries me in relation to TTC. Has anyone else had a baby after a fusion? Just worried about how my back would cope with carrying and delivering a baby.

Hiya - sorry only just seen your post! I had a spinal fusion after a partial discectomy 10 years before conceiving and had no issues with pregnancy. I had a bad back on occasion during the end of the first trimester when I think everything was moving about ligament wise but then it was ok. I had a bump support belt but again didn't need it the further along I got!

I had a planned cs due to GD and being unfavourable for induction at 38 weeks and had no issues with my back during recovery.

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest a bit. Having said that, I would always put the disclaimer that everyone and every pregnancy is different!

I did see a neurosurgeon during my pregnancy and an anaethetist to check my scar didn't interfere with any epidural I chose/needed to have. As I had a CS I did have an epidural but the only adjustment made for my spinal fusion was that the injection was slightly higher on my spine to avoid the largest part of the scar.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->