Spit-up

crossedfinger

Hannah's mommy and TTC#2
Reaction score
Hi all, new mommy here. Just wondering how much is normal spitting up for a breastfed baby. It seems like my LO excessively spits up, although this could just be me worrying too much. Sometimes she has just a bit of dribble, which doesn't bother her. But then she'll have more forceful spit-up where she gags and looks very uncomfortable. I try burping her each feed and keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after each feed, but she still does this. Normal? Not normal? She's having regular poops and seems to be gaining weight.

Spit up is normal - as long as she's not spitting up a whole feeding ( although I know sometimes it feels like it) & that she's not screaming in discomfort. Make sure to burp her after each side (if you're offering both breasts) and probably about halfway through & after if you're block feeding. Good luck! Eventually she won't spit up as much. I'm entering that stage now myself! I used to go through multiple spit cloths per day, now I find I go for a couple days between needing a spit cloth :)

My bub spits up all the way until her next feed. It's very frustrating, especially when I have to constantly clean her up. I asked maternal health nurse about it and she said that if bub is still gaining weight and not in pain when spitting up, then it's nothing to worry about. Just put on a bib and that's really all you can do.

I burp her, I feed her up right, I leave her upright for over an hour etc and it makes no difference at all. Surprisingly, she actually spits up less if I feed her laying down in bed and leave her laying down afterwards.

I think I remember reading that around 6 months it stops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->