Spoons!

Popples1

Reaction score
I've recently started weaning my 5.5 month old because he's drinking masses of milk (38oz+ per day) and still has a rumbly tummy! The HV is supportive. So far we've tried:

Sweet potato
Parsnip
Carrot
Apple
Pear
Banana with milk

He's seemed to like the flavour of the sweeter ones (parsnip was definitely not a success!) but wasn't keen on opening his mouth for the spoon. I did wonder if he just wasn't ready (despite the appetite) but today tried giving it from my finger which he happily opened his mouth for a gobbled down a cube of carrot! He does try to put the spoon in his own mouth but mostly misses and covers his eyebrows! I'm happy to let him do that but it in the interests of actually getting some food in his mouth too...

What spoons do you use? Does your LO have any preference? Ours are Tommee Tippee 'explora' weaning spoons, long handle, soft plastic. Thinking I should try some different ones to see if he prefers them...

ide give him a spoon to play with & you have a spoon to ensure some food gets in his mouth & not just in his hair & the carpet ;)

maybe try some finger foods too? xx

We do usually have one each - he dodges mine and puts his own in his hair! I will try finger foods though as I think he likes doing it himself :)

Ahh bless him!

my LO had the TT spoons you have & also some hard plastic ones like this.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/munchkin-soft-tip-infant-spoon-six-packs/213-9688.prd

she only used them for about 3 weeks & then decided she wanted to do it herself so we just did BLW

Ahh, they look ideal. I'll nip up Tesco and pick some up!

We didn't spoonfeed, but once my daughter started to feed herself with a spoon, I found that the TT ones that are hard, rather than the ones with the flexible spoon bit, worked much better. These ones:

https://www.boots.com/en/Tommee-Tip..._mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots+Shopping+All

The flexible ones just flopped everywhere and it was hard for her to get it in her mouth. Also, yes, I'd vote for just letting him play and explore and see if he can feed himself. Even at his age, weaning won't reduce his milk intake much for awhile yet. So I'd let him get on with it if he's keen. Sit back and enjoy your lunch too.

Yeah, I'm trying not to get too bothered about how much he eats as I know it's still early days. 😃 We're only doing one meal a day while he gets used to the idea - plus my washing machine is already working overtime as it is!

My LO refused to be spoon fed, we tried everything-she will only take fruit from a spoon (smart kid) anything savoury she has to do herself. We were forced to BLW and it's much better!! My question now is how to teach them to use a spoon properly for the sloppy stuff!!

We just started this week - Emma is 5 months gestation as of the 13th, by birth not 'til the 19th. She is not that keen on the spoon, but I figure we'll need to "practice" another week to see if she gets it then or if we need to try BLW. I'm hoping the spoon thing works, because she's also gobbling down a ton of milk, and I hate having to wake up extra times at night again just because she's hungry. She downs 5-6 ounces 3x some nights (just the last week or so, but I know it's a signal she needs more calories).

We just started this week - Emma is 5 months gestation as of the 13th, by birth not 'til the 19th. She is not that keen on the spoon, but I figure we'll need to "practice" another week to see if she gets it then or if we need to try BLW. I'm hoping the spoon thing works, because she's also gobbling down a ton of milk, and I hate having to wake up extra times at night again just because she's hungry. She downs 5-6 ounces 3x some nights (just the last week or so, but I know it's a signal she needs more calories).

it could just be a growth spurt hun x

I've taken a few days off and started again very gently, no trying to sneak it into his mouth, just letting him play with the spoon and helping him guide it when he's aiming it towards his face. The smaller spoons have helped but it's still very much just experimenting and tasting rather than eating. Given his age, that's just fine with me. We've starred doing a dream feed again this week as he was waking up at 12.30 and 3.30/4!

I've taken a few days off and started again very gently, no trying to sneak it into his mouth, just letting him play with the spoon and helping him guide it when he's aiming it towards his face. The smaller spoons have helped but it's still very much just experimenting and tasting rather than eating. Given his age, that's just fine with me. We've starred doing a dream feed again this week as he was waking up at 12.30 and 3.30/4!

Yeah, the dreamfeed seems key for us, too. I have to make sure it happens between 11-midnight or so, otherwise she's up by 4AM... if I can get it in, we all sleep past 5AM, and usually more like 7AM!

it could just be a growth spurt hun x

Naw, it's been going on too long at this point. We've had growth spurts before, too, but this is like a week straight of higher volumes of milk. Pretty sure that it's just the "I'm 5 months old and need more" age.

Leo Hates all expensive spoons
We buy the tommee tippee ones in a small long black box there is 6 in a box and they're blue, only £1 from asda xx

I use Morrisons/Kiddicare spoons, didn't think too much about the brand and just picked them up at shopping. My daughter had the munchkin ones and used them fine. My son is definitely ready to eat and sometimes does great, opening his mouth and demolishing his food in 5 mins, other times he doesn't do so well and seems in his own world, looking around elsewhere. Usually I make sure he is wide awake and hungry when I feed him and he seems to do better. I usually feed right after his nap and give his milk straight after as well.

I do mostly spoon feed but I also let him feed himself rusks, steamed carrots, toast, bananas etc too. Your LO may just need to get into the swing of things but you can try a mix of blw and spoon feeding if you're worried amount the amount he's eating.

We had to (and still do) use the Gerber silicone covered metal ones, the infant ones (the slim ones) even at 17 months, the "toddler" ones (with the larger, rounder head) don't fit in his mouth well. He's still got such a little mouth.

That being said, we mostly used BLW, but for yogurts and stuff we used spoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->