St Johns Wort's for Panic attacks & Anxiety

bexbaby

Reaction score
hello, im just putting a post on here to see if anyone has ever used st johns worts? i do suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. Im a little unsure on whether to use them or not. They are not perscribed they where shop bought. Does anyone think i should maybe get them perscribed before taking them or has anyone taken them either way. I usually has panic attacks right before bed, I kind of diagnosed myself with sleep anxiety for some reason (because thats when it mainly happens) so i really just want some relief from those feelins. as anyone knows who is a sufferer of panic attacks they are not nice! I can control them but still i hate! hate! hate! them. Once ive had one it always takes me a good hour to get asleep, so i constantly feel tired. As im back at work now after my maternity leave it seems to be taking its tool on me, i.e. working, coming home, making tea, seeing to the LO etc... so if anyone can give me any help it would be appreciated :)

I'm not sure about panic attacks and anxiety, but I do know it helps a lot with depression. My aunt actually took it to treat her post-partem depression :)

Yer it says depression and anxiety. Did they work for your aunt? I know they're herbal but I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to any type of meds haha xx

Hi bexbaby, I think herbals are SO much safer than pharmaceuticals. My OH and I take Lemon Balm. It helps you sleep well, it's an antioxidant so it helps prevent cancer, it's a natural antidepressant and the main contra-indication is you can't take it while you're on thyroid medication as it might effect it's absorption. It's in tincture form. If you're afraid of trying herbal supplements you could always speak to a naturopath doctor. They are well versed in the most effective remedies (she recommended lemon Balm for depression and sleep problems for my OH). It'll just be a little pricey, we paid $425 for 2 appointments.
Do you know why you're having panic attacks? Confronting the fears or psychological problems might help too. Lemon Balm, St John's Wort or anti-anxiety will only put a band-aid on it and it sounds like you could use some relief!

I'm making an appointment at my doctors sometime this week just to ask him about herbal medications etc. My anxiety and panic attacks come from no where. I mean I do have a few problems. At the minute myself my LO and OH are all living in my parents house, as we moved out of our previous home due to, to many complications in there (we where renting the property) we basically don't get our space so I think my anxiety does come from not having my own home anymore especially now as I have my own family. Sometimes I really over think things, when I have a panic attack I can hear my heart beating and I constantly think oh my god what's going on, am I okay, NO! There's something up with me. I do manage to calm myself down and think rationally but my attack just stays there and I constantly feel anxious. Like that horrible feeling that comes over you as if something resting on your shoulders all the time. I don't no what way to fight the attacks, as in what can I do to try and ease them more I.e. Exercise, reading etc... Do you know anything that could possible help? Thanks.

Oh Bex that's aweful. I've found that burning off some serious steam at a tough workout leaves me less inclined to worry before bed, I'm too exhausted. I have had those problems before, I've had panic attacks over feeling unsafe (OH driving in Italy down super narrow alley got narrower and narrower, just about passed out my heart was beating so badly). But yours isn't random, it seems pretty regular. If you GP is anything like mine they'll want to give you prescription drugs and tell you that herbals don't work. Don't get me wrong I love my doc, she's the best but when I need advice about herbals a naturopath has seemed much better. Or researching ALOT on line. Livestrong and the mayo clinic has decent, medically based info about many things. I wish you some peace and comfort soon.

Hello again, I've been taking st John's worts for nearly a week now and I feel much much much better, I can't believe how much they've helped me. My anxiety hasn't completely disappeared but it has near subsided. I feel tons better for taking the herbal route. My doc tried to prescribe me anti depressants but I instantly refused and asked about the herbal way. He highly recommended st John's wort so I started taking them that very same day I felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. And I would recommend them to any body else with the same problem. Only side effect I had is feeling slightly sleepy in the day but it comes and goes, by the end of the night when I'm in bed I fall straight asleep and have a peaceful sleep. (St John's wort helps sleep to) with myself back at work also they seem to give me more energy during the working hours but as I said sleepy afterwards. Other then that I praise the herbal remedy :) x

Bexbaby, really glad to hear you're feeling better!! Good job at not being tempted by prescription medication -well done.

Just a little point to bear in mind ladies, St. John's wort can prevent the contraceptive pill from working.......not that it really matters at the mo seeing as most of you on this thread are either pregnant or TTC! Lol. But just thought I would mention it for future reference. :thumbup:

Glad to hear its having fab effects for you though!! :happydance:

It can interfere with a lot of other meds too, so read the little leaflets that come in the pack!

I think anxiety is usually worse at night in general, because you're tired and have the whole day weighing on you (even if there's nothing specific you're worried about, just the amount that you've had to process through the day).

I haven't taken St. John's Wart but for a quick nighttime fix I like Yogi Honey Lavendar Stress Relief tea. First I feel really relaxed... then like 5 minutes later I'm out :).

I'm not taking any other medication, also not on any type of contraceptive pill due to bad sides effects. When and if I ever need to take any other meds I'll be sure to check with my doc in case I can't take st John's worst with meds.

Today I've had my first panic attack since taking the herbal meds, it wasn't a bad attack but still any panic attack you have can still be terrifying. I will also mention that last night I had been drinking alcohol so that's what I'm putting my panic attack down to, simply because I'm not feeling my best today and that's probably why the attack cropped up. Thanks for all you replies ladies they've been much appreciated. :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->