Stacey Solomon - smoking whilst pregnant - opinions?

Hellylou

Mum to 3 and 1 Angel
Reaction score
For those not familiar with who Stacey Solomon is, she's an ex X-Factor contestant who has made a successful career since in reality tv, daytime tv, and advertising. She was nominated for Celebrity Mum of the Year but that has been dropped since she was caught smoking at 7 months pregnant recently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-pregnant-caught-smoking-4-times-2-hours.html

I was interested in peoples' thoughts on this. Does she deserve the vilification she is receiving? Should her career be ruined over this? Do you have any sympathy for her?

Hmmm, I've got various different thoughts on it. In some ways yes, I feel really sorry for her because it can't be nice what is being said about her. However, she has also brought it on herself by continuing to smoke whilst pregnant. I don't think anything can justify smoking whilst pregnant, although realistically I'm sure a couple of day won't have harmed her baby.

I'm a smoker but stopped the moment I found out I was pregnant both times, and didn't touch a single one during my first pregnancy and haven't yet this time and know for certain that I won't. Personally, I don't find quitting whilst pregnant difficult in the slightest - it's as if the decision is taken away from me and I just don't have a choice. Smoking whilst pregnant is not an option to me. However if I try to quit at any other time then I find it impossible, so can imagine that some people find it really hard to quit whilst pregnant (maybe I'm just lucky that my brain switches off the want/need to smoke when I'm pregnant).

So whilst I do feel sorry for her, I do think that it was right that she was stripped of the "mum of the year" title, as the company can't be seen to condone smoking in pregnancy. I don't think her general career should be ruined though.

Celebrity is such a double-edge sword ain't it?

Her smoking when pregnant (ANYONE SMOKING WHEN PREGNANT) is just wrong on so many different levels. I don't think she should be judged overall, but yes, the title of "celeb mom of the year" cannot be upheld if she is directly, deliberately harming her unborn child. Incidentally, if I was her and I lost that title, I would be thinking "that's no skin of my nose"..I mean c'mon, previous winners of that title would never have struck me as particularly "good mothers" anyway.

Being a celeb is hard because everyone thinks you are free from the frailties of the human condition..it surprises me when people are surprised that actually, yep, celebs make mistakes, sometimes giant colossal mistakes..they are human after all.

In summation... I would question anyone who smokes when pregnant... that's an immoral thing to do. That doesn't mean she is any less of a human, or any less deserving of respect and love though. x

Yeah Kerry Katona won that award, as did Natalie cassidy recently returned to her violent ex, Jordan! its far from an honour.

Obviously her actions are wrong and I hope that Drs speak out against her statement that they said it was okay, before some mothers get the wrong information

I think its awful and i try not to judge people but when it comes to smoking in pregnancy i really cant help it. As an ex smoker i know how difficult it is to give up but for me it wasnt an option. In pregnancy i like to eliminate all things that could be detrimental to my baby so if anything was to go wrong (god forbid) i would know i couldnt have done anything different but that just imo x

I have seen and know plenty of women who have continued to smoke through pregnancy and despite all the risks and complications a couple of them have had they see no reason to cut down, so for me although its not right the fact that she at least tried to cut down is better than nothing.

Obviously it's not a good idea to smoke during pregnancy but I respect Stacy for holding her hands up and saying she's got no excuse and wishes she could give up completely. I'm sure most of us wish we could do better at many things, including being a Mum and I do feel a bit sorry for her that this is all being played out in the media, she does seem like she genuinely feels ashamed.

OT but what are some of the celebrity mums doing in the short list for this years award, Natasha Giggs? Peaches Geldof? Oh my!

I agree with lightworker.

Obviously smoking whilst pregnant is wrong but i also think smoking around your children once they are born is equally as wrong.
i do feel sorry for her but being a celeb you are seen as a 'role model' and this will have a bad effect on her career, situations like this are always highlighted times a million in the celeb world, to justify herself using the fact that a doctor told her it was okay i felt was extreamly silly as some pregnant mothers may read/hear this information and then think ahhhh its ok x

OT but what are some of the celebrity mums doing in the short list for this years award, Natasha Giggs? Peaches Geldof? Oh my!

Peaches hasnt even had her baby yet so how is she nominated??? :dohh:

Peaches hasnt even had her baby yet so how is she nominated??? :dohh:

Exactly! So far she's managed to stop shoplifting and falling out of nightclubs, which is great but she hasn't actually changed a nappy yet :haha:

Celebrity is such a double-edge sword ain't it?

Her smoking when pregnant (ANYONE SMOKING WHEN PREGNANT) is just wrong on so many different levels. I don't think she should be judged overall, but yes, the title of "celeb mom of the year" cannot be upheld if she is directly, deliberately harming her unborn child. Incidentally, if I was her and I lost that title, I would be thinking "that's no skin of my nose"..I mean c'mon, previous winners of that title would never have struck me as particularly "good mothers" anyway.

Being a celeb is hard because everyone thinks you are free from the frailties of the human condition..it surprises me when people are surprised that actually, yep, celebs make mistakes, sometimes giant colossal mistakes..they are human after all.

In summation... I would question anyone who smokes when pregnant... that's an immoral thing to do. That doesn't mean she is any less of a human, or any less deserving of respect and love though. x

I agree with this :thumbup:

I might get jumped on here but, I did smoke during my first pregnancy. Before I became pregnant I was smoking 10-20 a day and when I found out I was pregnant I cut down to 5. I know it was wrong and TBH I have no excuse other than I was very naive, very stupid and as silly as it might sound I never knew what the real risks were.
Of course I knew smoking was 'bad' and could harm the baby but I never knew how or why, even when I told the midwife, quite openly that I was smoking all I was ever told was that it was bad, never how, never why just that. I don't think I was ever made aware of what the 'real' risks were until joining here, fortunately by then I had given up smoking long before and have had two more pregnancy's since DD1 smoke free.
Also I was told the same and that giving up would cause more stress to baby than smoking them few would :Dohh: Like I said very naive.

But does it make me any less of a parent now? No. I felt guilty (and part of me still does) for a long time. What I really get fed up with though is the ones who judge yet go on to have a baby and do everything against the 'book' afterwards. :wacko: Like smelly said you know the ones that smoke around their kids but didn't during pregnancy, the ones that fill their kids with junk foods and fizzy pop but are great because again they didn't smoke during pregnancy. :dohh: (Not on here but in real life). Yes I have made mistakes and they may be bigger than others, I am lucky because it didn't affect my daughter, infact she is very bright and very well advanced for her age, for that I am thankful.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that yes, she has made a big mistake and done a very silly thing, but I don't think she should be being judged in the way she is, she is still a Human, one that is going to mistakes, celeb or not.

I agree again with the 'celeb mum of the year', it wouldn't be no skin of my nose either no matter how perfect I was, seeing the ones that have been nominated, previous and this year? Seriously? :wacko:

Sorry for the essay. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->