Stage 2 weaning at 6 months- help!!!

Becki77

Mummy of 2 little men!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Ive not been on here for such a long time but really need advice now!!!
I went to the health visitor today and got Jaiden weighed, hes now 20lb 14oz at almost 26 weeks.( so alittle chubby!!!) But It was alittle shock to be told i need to feed him more?!!!!!
At the moment our routine is:
7am-Bottle 6 oz
9am- cereal
10am-Bottle 5oz
2pm-Bottle 5oz
5pm- either bowl of fruit or veg puree followed by 3oz of juice
7pm-Bottle 5oz
He will always wake around 3/4am for another 6oz bottle.

I was thinking of moving up to 3 meals a day soon, however the health visitor told me to start introducing stage 2 weaning i.e mashed food, including meats, fish, dairy etc and give him finger food!
Is it not too early?!!!!! I know every baby progresses at different rates!
I just wondered how your babies coped with stage 2 food at 6 months?
And for thoses of you that make your own food, what did you start with?

Hope all your little people are ok?!
Thanks ladies xx:hug:

Hello Becki

Babies are all so different aren't they - bless them xx My little one is a bit different from yours as he eats quite a bit but doesn't take much milk. He's 27 weeks and only 14 pounds - a wee cheeky chappy!

I wondered if you'd tried feeding your LO in his sleep when you go to bed for the night - a 'dream feed' - it might help him sleep through to a bit later. My LO goes 8-11 (dream feed) then 11-6 (if I'm lucky).

I have found sweet potato, chicken, peas and apricots to be Thomas's favourites (not all together!!).

In a typical day he has:

6-7am 4oz fruit with 3tsp porridge and 4oz milk, water
10am 4-5oz milk
1pm 4oz meat and veg (like sw pot, chicken and peas), 2oz fruit, 4 oz milk, water
4pm 4oz veg or fruit with cheese, baby rice or butter, 4oz milk, water
7pm breast feed
11pm 5-6 oz milk (in his sleep)

Good luck - hope this helps :hugs:

Hi I've had visit from HV today and she told me that Katie should be having the food we are having! She said just 3 milk feeds and breakfast, lunch and tea.
At the moment she is having the following:

7.30 ish 3oz milk + baby porridge
11.30 ish 4oz milk + pureed carrot/apple/pear
3ish milk (anywhere between 3 to 6 oz)
6ish before bath or 6.45 after bath (again anywhere between 3oz and 6oz milk)
11 ish 6oz milk

she usually wakes for another feed at 4ish.

HV said to give her just 3 milk feeds a day but I'm worried that she doesn't take enough in at a feed. Also giving her what we are eating??? Really goes against my instincts and what I've read and seen my friends do. Confused now!!

Im so confused with weaning! ellliot's 6 months old, but no way ready for lumpy foods yet, so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be doing.

my hv is an idiot, so i won't be asking her about it.

i never realised weaning could be so confusing!

My lil girl is 6months and I too was told she can eat what we are eating.

Toast,pasta,3meals a day the lot. My face was a picture cos it was like all of a sudden switch to these foods and cut a bottle out!

I personally think my lil un isnt ready neither- she gags at eating a rusk and a teeny tiny bit of toast.

At the moment, i dont feel as if I want to cut a bottle out because she is poorly and she doesnt drink much as it is- around the 20oz mark per day.

Colton was completely on stage 2 foods at 6months. Although I slowly moved him over to them. At 4.5 months he got one stage 2 a day, 5-5.5 months he had two stage 2's, and then by six months he was on completely stage 2. Although, Colton was an early weaner (2-2.5 months) and was on three meals by 3.5 months.

Hi I've had visit from HV today and she told me that Katie should be having the food we are having! She said just 3 milk feeds and breakfast, lunch and tea.

11 ish 6oz milk

HV said to give her just 3 milk feeds a day but I'm worried that she doesn't take enough in at a feed. Also giving her what we are eating??? Really goes against my instincts and what I've read and seen my friends do. Confused now!!

I completely disagree with your HV.. sorry. I was told 4 milk feeds at 9months, she should be having more than 4 at 6 months, atleast! And Colton wasn't eating ANYTHING we were eating at that age!

11 ish 6oz milk

I completely disagree with your HV.. sorry. I was told 4 milk feeds at 9months, she should be having more than 4 at 6 months, atleast! And Colton wasn't eating ANYTHING we were eating at that age!

thanks that's exactly what I thought! I am still giving her 4 feeds but for the last two nights she's slept through and missed her night feed. I was really confused after she'd been. she told me to give feed after solids so she'd be taking even less in! Don't know who trains them but my experience of HV is that they seem to make it up as they go along! Feel better now you've posted ta x

I have read and have been told that once baby is on solids they should still be having a minimum of 600 ml (approx23 oz) per day of milk, so you can cut down to 4 feeds, but I think 3 feeds at 6 months is not enough.

Gabbi is still getting used to solids (and not drinking as much milk either) and goes something like this:

7am - milk approx 5 1/2 oz average (but has been as much as 7oz and as little as 2 1/2oz!!!!!!)
10.45/11am - approx 5 1/2 oz milk and what ever solids, usually cereal and fruit
2.15/2.30pm - approx 5 1/2 oz milk, plus 2 cubes of veg and/or fruit, whatever she will eat.
5.45/6pm - approx 5 1/2 oz milk, either cereal and cube of fruit and/or veg, or just fruit and veg
9.30/10pm - approx 4 1/2 oz milk or more if she will take it.

The milk amount she is having at the moment is much lower than I like, but she has milk first and then solids. So she must have had enough of the milk! I don't know.

Hey iam kinda in same boat, i have just this week started my little man on stage two and his routine is so simular to Jaidens, Kobe has
9am- cereal
10am- Bottle 5oz

12pm - Dinner usually some vegetables or a pasta and stars with a drink of water or juice after

3pm- sometimes he has finger food and then a Bottle 5oz
5pm- Bowl of fruit or veg Mashed or what we have for our tea
7pm-Bottle 5oz
He wakes at 5,30 for a 5oz bottle.

Instead of using the blender for his foods i now just use a fork and mash it, to start him off i just gave him broccoli, carrots and cauliflower with a tiny bit of gravy if it was dry ish, he loves it... i have got him some stage 2 pasta stars and the cook ure own range sauces too and he takes the lumps no problem no gagging or anything which came as a shock,
Kobe used to have a bottle at 3 and at 7 but since i gave him dinner and finger food he only wakes at 5.30 now and sometimes that fades to 7 ish xx
hope Jaiden is doing well...xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->