Starting school.. Just a few questions if you could help..

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
So my little Madi goes to school in Sept, this time last year I was a crying wreck thinking about it, but Pre School has changed her, she is such a happy, confident clever little girl I know she is more than ready for school.

But I just have a few little niggles that make me sad, and looking here for some reassurance.

- Pre-school is the longest she has ever been away from me, so, 3 hours. Ad I wonder how she will get on without me for 6 hours a day. I know there will be alot to do and plenty to stimulate her but I'm worried she will miss home.

- She hates outside. She's a real indoorsy girl and the are made to go outside for break, lunch and dinner, I hate to think of her being out in the cold crying that she wats to be inside.

I'm also worried she won't eat enough... How much should I be giving her for lunch. She is a grazer at home and she just picks all day.

Think that's it for now.. TIA xx

My DD doesnt start till next yr and im a wreck when ever I think of it, so I hope someone can give you a better reply but my 2 cents worth...

I think they just have to adapt and seeing other children, well, they do it too. Im sure you had similar worries about your DD before she started preschool and now you have said that she is happy and confident. I bet she will be fine and settle in just as well as she has done with preschool.

My son is an indoorsy type because asthma and allergies...but he has to go outside anyhow because he needs vitamin D and i read it can help his allergies.

AS far as being away from you, it will get easier. In fact, I am looking forward for son to start school (in a couple weeks!)he gets soooo bored that I think his brain is rotting haha

Ypu should check out bentobox lunch.

My daughter starts school in September and (although I haven't found a job yet) I qualified as a teacher this July after working all year in a reception class.

I just want to ease your concerns from an insiders point of view - there are children that find it hard to adjust, some at the beginning of the year but others may later on - particularly after holidays. On the whole though they cope very well and don't forget you or what you've already taught them because you're not there with them. Most of the time they draw pictures for mummy, write cards for mummy, re-tell events from the weekend that have happened with mummy and personally I find that very reassuring.

The teacher's I've been around (hopefully including myself) are eager to make every child feel at home in their classroom and will actively try to include every child. Most of the time if they are upset it's for 5 - 10 minutes at the beginning of the day or just before lunch, which staff are aware of. The rest of the time children are happy because there is so much to do and they are kept very busy. Just the fact that there are 25 other children around them happily playing is encouraging for them.

I think the eating enough thing is a worry for alot of mums but if you send a packed lunch they send back all the uneaten things so you can gage if it's enough.

Your teachers should be approachable and act on your concerns. Personally (from what I've done and seen other mum's do) it's really important that you stay positive to your LO about school so she feels good about it (even if you don't really get on with the teacher or agree with what they do). Try not to cry in front of her and talk to her about small achievements with enthusiasm.

Hope she settles in well & HTH :)

I generally think that they are so busy doing stuff the time will fly and she won't miss you, there was a little girl last year that started with my Lucy and she found it really really hard as she had never been away from her mum before, but according to Lucy she was teachers 'helper' a lot the first week or so and after that she was grand

I also think as the all go outside she will just follow them and be happy to play (Lucy's school has a playground (climbing frame, slide etc) for the younger kids so they all have a blast!

Lucy grazes a lot too but at school she seems to eat at both of her breaks (only there for 4.5 hrs so I would imagine madi would have 3 breaks?) she has a sandwich or wrap, a piece of fruit, small pot of popcorn, cheese, salami and cherry toms sometimes she eats it all other times she barely touches anything - the same as home! I like to send extra so she has a choice and plenty to eat if she's having a hungry day - we have a lunchbox with lots of compartments which is really handy xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->