Starting School

Jazzy-NICU

Reaction score
My little boy is due to start school in September, he's summer born (24th Aug).
My husband and I have looked into delayed entry and are still considering it as a possibility but I wondered if anyone had any advice Re: what is expected of children in reception year?
With regards to reading/ writing, do they have to get themselves dressed for PE? Get their own school dinners?
He still seems so young :( I'm worried he won't know who to ask for help.
He is very tall so you wouldn't automatically presume he was one of the younger ones x

My son is end of June born and also starting in September. He goes to nursery now so is used to the routine. Will your son go to nursery before school?

They will be expected to put their shoes on and off and hang their coat up. The teachers won't leave your son hanging I would hope. He will soon pick it up esp if you so it at home too.

Presumably you have done your school application already? You can still go in and ask questions about what is expected and this may put your mind at rest.

4yo are very resilient and quick learners. Am sure your son will be absolutely fine.

No one will be expected to read or write. It all starts from the beginning. You aren't allowed to "teach" writing until reception either.

Thanks for your reply :)
He's at preschool all day mon/weds/fri which is attached to the school I'm hoping he will get into so he's very used to the routine of going there :)

I'm pretty sure they don't expect much as far as reading or writing- they would be more interested in can he change his shoes and change for gym independently? Can he listen to and follow instruction? Can he sit when asked to sit? I'm sure if he's struggling getting his lunch or something then someone will help him.

My daughter is also tall and often gets mistaken for being older than she is so I worry about that too!

Good luck- it's all very scary :(

I was a reception teacher and we generally expected that they could hang up coat, get dressed with some help if needed (girls often needed it with tights) so could dress after pe and go to toilet although accidents did happen. In regards to reading and writing nothing is expected, we had some who could and some who could do nothing. My daughter is July 20th so will be youngest as well. We took reception separate for lunch so could help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->