Stepping into the unknown!

MissRoc

Reaction score
Hey guys!:winkwink:

I'm normally a serial 3rd tri lurker but have yesterday stepped into the world of possibly having a premmie after thinking I'd be in and out of the hospital in an hour yesterday morning, i'm still here!

to cut a very long day short i had a scan as they weren't happy with growth of baby as i am measuring 29 weeks at 32 and cord flow seemed to be the problem, i was started on steriods incase they wanted him out like today, que massive panic for me and the fella! I then saw a fetal medicine consultant who has put me off until friday and he'll make a decsion to deliver or let me carry on a few more days!:nope:

needless to say i am quite shellshocked as only came in with decreased movement and now i might be a mummy tomorrow!:wacko:

any advise you can give me about premature babies, complications and survival rates would be great as i know nothing!!:cry:

thanks xxxx

Everyday you lo stay's inside you is a bonus, It's very scary having a preemie but you get used to seeing your baby in the nicu and all the machines around you. Have they showed you around so you know what to expect? Can't say how your preemie will be but it's likely he will need help with breathing, feeding. Good luck hope everything goes well x

Like mumof42009 said, every day baby is cooking is a bonus.

Each baby is different so we cant give u clear cut idea of what they will be like but there are all such little fighters.
Have they given you a weight?
Being started on steriods, is a really good thing, i believe it was the steriods that gave Harry a great start and helped him so much.

Again, its possible baby will have some problems with breathing, feeding (they dont have the sucking, swollowing and breathing reflex until about 34 weeks gestation) and mantaining their body temp, all very normal for premmies.

If you want to ask any questions, this forum is great and all the mums are fab.

Harry was born at 24weeks and has just celebrated his first birthday xxxx

hi like the other girls have said all babies are diff and so are prems, your problems sound exactly what mine turned out to be.

I had loads of problems from week 20 and was told from week 24 at each scan the baby could be delivered any day, we got to week 33 and they decided that they had left baby in longer than they should and the blood flow was stopping so they delivered Ellie the next day by section thinking that she would be a little under 3lbs but Ellie was born at 4lb 3oz and needed no help with her breathing( I had 4 lots of steriod injections on the bum ouch!!!! lol) seh was tube fed for 5 almost 6 weeks and her weight went down to 3lbs and she had a very bad infection day 3 which made her stop breathing and she needed a little help. After that and her antibiotics it was just maintaining her body temp she had trouble with. If you have any questions just ask. I would also recommend a look around the neonatal unit, as its not as scary as it sounds. Good luck and Im sure all will be well xxx

YES every premie is different ! =)

but its true, they are little fighters! Just had my preemie last saturday, and it is a roller coaster of emotions, everyday is a win, every news a victory. You will have more faith now than in our entire life... BUT besides all You are very blessed, dont be afraid of monitors and tubes, they will be there, but only to help your little one, just think in a way that you are going to meet your little one earlier but he will be an awsome and cute baby by due date... =)

it is normal to be emotional ( I still am...) And it is hard to leave the hospital, but you will have an incredible story to tell him later =)

I wish you the best ! Hopefully he keeps cooking, otherwise welcome to the preemie world !
after this experience you will be another person ( in a very good way...)
feel free to ask, these ladies are REALLY awsome

I had a growth scan at 28 weeks 5 days, the umbilical cord arteries were not functioning well. at the time there was enough to keep him alive but not grow etc. i had a week in and out of hospital until at 29 weeks 5 it was decided he would be better off out than in. It is scary and the worst experience i have ever been through. however my baby came out screaming and hasnt stopped since. So far its been a 7 week stay for him in nnu but the end is in sight. By the time i had my c section i wanted him out, i was so scared id lose him inside me.....all has worked out fine

if u have any questions or need advise just message me...i have been there

I had a scan at 28 weeks and was warned that my bloodflow could stop at any time, so received the steroid jabs. Had a week of scans, then took myself into hospital 3 hours early when I had reduced movement ... Andrew was born 6 hours later :D

My advice on survival rates? Don't google anything :rofl: No, seriously, every baby is different. Stay positive and have a read of some of the wonderful stories on here.

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful and reassuring. I've been discharged from hospital today as edf flow was positive but I have to go back for twice weekly scans and twice daily traces but I'm so glad he is hanging on in there and I now know that everyday he stays put makes such a difference if he does have to come early, fingers crossed it won't come to that but it's nice to know there is so much support if he does xx

32 weeks is already very good, he`ll be fine! *hugs* I had the same issue with bloodflow, my little guy was delivered at 27 weeks with the weight of a 23 weeker so he was a full month behind in development, and he`s fine *huuuugs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->