Sterilizing pumping supplies

sheldonsmommy

Reaction score
Hey ladies!

Just curious how often you sterilize your bottles and breast pump paraphernalia.

Currently my ds2 is almost 12 weeks old. I pump about once or twice per day. Once sometimes in the morning with excess supply, and once in the evening when I feed him a frozen stash bag (to rotate my stash and keep him accustomed to bottles).

I try to sterilize by boiling in water for 5ish minutes daily, but sometimes I go 2 days.

Opinions - is this too infrequent?

I'm in Canada.

i try to pump twice a day. so after the morning one i put the bottle with all the stuff still attached in the fridge, then pump again in then evening and put the milk in the freezer and steralise all the stuff

Never, but I sanitize occasionally. When LO was in the NICU I sanitized once a day (per NICU instructions, washed in warm soapy water between). At home, I wash in warm soapy water once a day, put in the fridge between uses.

However, I routinely run them through the dishwasher, at least twice a week. Most dishwashers get quite hot even on a normal hot wash cycle, and sometimes (not every time) we run our NSF certified sanitize cycle.

I don't ever sterilize.

I pump twice at work (and occasionally once at night after my son goes to bed). i only rinse parts between uses and keep them all refrigerated. then, at the end of the day, i wash in hot, soapy water. I only sterilize in boiling water once a week or so.

I think you are fine to go every 2 days. I did the hot soapy water soak after each session when LO was tiny and in the NICU for 4 days. If that was good enough for the NICU, I think you should be fine with a 12-week-old. Later on I only did the hot soapy water once a day (adding vinegar to your soaking water will help a lot too). Ran them through the dishwasher every few days.

I'll add I'm lucky to pump once a day so mine will go in dishwasher after each use then into sterilising liquid if planning on using it that day as it'll have sat around.

Thanks ladies!

Lots of variance here! I wash with hot soapy water after every pump because of the length of time between pumps (12+ hours), and sterilize as stated above.

With my first son I sterilized everything every time (including bottles for formula later on)!! That's what was recommended to me. Until one day at 5 months or so I caught him putting a huge dust bunny in his mouth and thought his food can't be THAT bad lol

Dishwasher is a great idea. I may actually start doing instead of boiling every week. Like you pointed out, babies are exposed to germier things all the time, especially older babies. I don't bottlefeed often, he mostly takes it right from the tap. Lol. I don't "sterilize" my nipples before feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->