steroids for babys lungs question...

Kat1990

pregnant! 2nd trimester!
Reaction score
hello girls, last week (29 weeks) i was taken into hospital with contractions, the did a test that said i had 50/50 chance of labouring soon... so they gave me 2 doses of steroids to mature babies lungs.... but also put me on drip to stop contractions.

the drip worked and 10 days later i am home, contractions almost completely stopped. but im worried will the steroids effect baby if i manage to go full term? or at least a few weeks further? have any of you girls experienced this?

been a scary week, and rather emotional... any advice be fab :)

(posted in prem baby forum too)

I was admitted at 25 weeks with contractions and a positive test on delivering within two weeks!

I too was given medication to stop the contractions and also two shots of steroids too. I was in hospital for over a week and was told that the steroids is basically incase I did deliver in those days and was assured that it will have no bad effects on baby if I didn't deliver then. Luckily the contractions did stop!

I am now coming up to my 34th week, and all is fine (other than baby is breech - that's a whole different story!).

My sister also had to have steroid shots during her pregnancy as she had the same thing happen to her at 24 weeks. My niece is now 4 years old, extremely healthy and bright as a button! So please don't worry x

oh thanks Louloubelle78!! so good to hear a positive story! sounds like you went through exactly the same as me! glad to hear they dont effect baby:) good to know your still hanging in there :) just hope i can hold on too :)

I also was admitted at 26 weeks and given steroids then and again at 30 weeks. My ob/gyn said it has no side effect on baby so don't worry about it. It can only help if little one decides to come early. Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

The weeks following was so worrying, so I can completely relate to how you are feeling and going through! I was told to treat each week as a milestone: if nothing happens during the up coming two weeks, then the odds of going in to preterm labour is low and once you reach 30 weeks then the threat is all but gone.

I'm sure you'll be ok, especially if the pain and contractions have stopped. Take it really easy too: I was told to have complete bed rest, or at the very least take as much rest as possible.

Keep us updated what happens, and is you need to chat feel free to PM me. I was tearing my hair out with worry until 30 weeks! x

I was given steroids at 27 weeks for the same reason as you (now 32 weeks) - the doctor told me there was definitely no side effects

I was given steroids at 24 weeks, just in case my baby comes early. There is know side effects that I know of if my baby makes it to term.

I had them at 34 weeks and my daughter was delivered at 38. No effects on her at all :)

I was given the steroid shots around 28 weeks or do (I think), and am now term. There is nothing to worry about and now if you did deliver early you're baby's lungs will be better developed!

i was given steroid shots for my first baby. i was 30 weeks and my kidneys had shut down. i managed to wait until 38 before i had her, she was perfectly healthy:) all i can say is her lungs were perfect, almost to perfect, she was a LOUD baby!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->