Still gagging when eating lumpy food at 11 months?!

Meels-Spot

Reaction score
Hi I've put this in here as I want more people to see it......My little boy is 11 months old, weaned at 6 months. He is quite behind on his weaning progress as he's still on stage 2 type meals as he cannot cope with lumpy food - unless it's pasta. He will gag and retch and will often then bring up all his food. He's not choking, just gagging before the food has even gone down! The weird thing is he will eat toast, rusks, bits of fruit/veg etc with no problems. Has anyone else had this??? I thought it might get better with time, but it hasn't. No problems with pasta type meals though.

Also another problem is he won't feed himself at all. He plays with his finger food on his tray but he won't put it up to his mouth to feed himself, you have to put bits in his mouth for him then he'll eat them fine. I've even put his own hand up to his mouth and he just refuses to eat from it. He's been having finger food for a few months and he still hasn't improved in this area either.

Don't know what to do!!! :nope:

I'm having the same problem with my LO. ok so he is alittle younger at nearly 8 months but fingerfoods is a real problem. Its like he is scared of the food. We also have to put little bits in his mouth which is tries to spit out. He is ok with the stage 2 jars but our food he will not touch! It costs us alot buying the jars everyweek because he just won't eat our food. Maybe its my cooking haha

I'm not sure what to do either..i'm trying everything!

only a suggestion bt my cousin used to do this when he was little..and they found out he was tongue-tied (sp?)

only a suggestion bt my cousin used to do this when he was little..and they found out he was tongue-tied (sp?)

Oh my god! Thank you for your reply, after a quick bit of research on this, you may have hit the nail on the head! We were told Seth was slightly tongue-tied when he was checked after he was born but was told it was nothing to worry about and that it may need snipping later on. Since then it's never been mentioned by the doctor or health visitor when he was checked and so it's been forgotten about really. I assumed this meant all was well. But maybe not judging by what I've just read, so I will make a doctors appointment tomorrow!

My LO is also slighty tongue tied. We took him to the doctors but they said they wouldn't do anything even tho we said he was gagging all the time with food. Maybe I should also make a docs app again with a different doctor!

have to say tongue-tie was bad for use but only on bottles since we got it snipped fast he was born on a sunday and it was snipped on the friday.

Id say look in his mouth while trying to get him to eat something and if his tongue makes a V shape all the time then thats his problem, also how far can he stick his tongue out and that can also show had bad it may be.. Kyles tongue-tie was where he could not move the middle of his tongue or lift it up at all really only a tiny weeny bit.

Hope it gets sorted for you hun :hugs:

EDIT::

to add with the V shape the front on the tongue if it is tongue tie should not lift up much if at all depending on how bad it is.

at least my advice helped a teeny bit...the dr's wouldn't do anything with my cousin so if they don't...don't worry to much keep trying but with softer things that dissolve..but they do grow out of it wether it's snipped or not as my wee cousin has no problem now!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->