Stimulating labor naturally?

pj1229

Reaction score
Hello, hello. I am currently 40 weeks and 1 day pregnant. So far, I am 2 cm dilated and 70-80% effaced. I have had a membrane sweep twice already, and the first time, contractions started, lasted about 2 days, then stopped. The second sweep, which was yesterday, only caused cramping and spotting. Both times, though, the OBGYN said she could feel the baby's head. He's dropped and head down, ready to go.

My boyfriend and I decided to try and get things going by being intimate, but so far, it's only caused a little more cramping.

I have had no complications this pregnancy(back around 18 weeks, they thought there was an issue, but it turned out to be incompetence with the ultrasound tech), and according to the ultrasounds I've had, baby is only measuring 2-3 days behind schedule(he's on the small side).

I was just wondering if there was a good way to perhaps get things moving a little quicker? My OBGYN used to be supportive of a vaginal birth, but is now insisting I have a C-section. I do NOT want to go through that pain and suffering again. I had one with my first(unnecessary) and had complications afterwards. So anything to avoid having a repeat section would be lovely.

Should I ask to be induced with pitocin? Or perhaps have my water broken by a doc? I'm kind of at my wit's end, and I'm a bit stressed about the whole being forced into a C-section thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why are they forcing you into a C-Section at only 40+1? It sounds like you are almost ready to pop and letting things start naturally means that you are more likey to have the natural birth that you want. Doctors make me so mad sometimes wanting to intervine all the time! Its your body and your choices :)

I would'nt suggest getting induced with pitocin if attempting a VBAC as this increases the risk of a scar rupture and most hosapitals wound't allow this.

You could try bouncing on a birthing ball, lots of walking and DTD. These also help to get baby moving :)

Fingers crossed it happens soon for you my lovely

I'm also already getting the c-section talk because my baby is measuring very big, so I'm looking to get things going naturally too. I recommend nipple stimulation. I did 5 minutes each nipple per hour with a manual pump yesterday (about 5 times) and each time, I had intense BH contractions (or possibly real ones, don't know, they were painful but not unbearable) a few minutes after I was finished, so it obviously triggers something. It doesn't work for everyone but definitely try it. Good luck!!

I have no idea why she wants to push a C-section at 40 wks. I have to go see her on Tuesday, and I'm going to fight to avoid having one at all costs. If 42 weeks is the cut-off, then I have until February 12th before I'd even need to have one.

I thought I did read somewhere that a very low dose of pitocin would be okay to have if I was being induced. It's been almost 9 years since I had my first, so I don't know how high the chance of scar rupture is. I can barely even see my scar from the previous section.

I have had NSTs every week for the past couple of weeks. Tuesdays and Fridays. Every single one shows an extremely active baby and his heart rate is fine/where it should be. There were some mild contractions at my NST today, so I'm hoping they start to intensify and perhaps get things started in the direction I'd like them to go.

I don't have a birthing ball, but I'm going to try and do some more walking(although there's about a foot of snow outside) and try the nipple stimulation. Told my boyfriend we need to DTD a little more often, as well.

Guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

Walking, nipple stimulation, sex, and the exercise ball are the only ones that I have seen get any support from docs!

I second what others have said. I'm also going to try acupuncture. I've got my appts scheduled for 39+4 and 40 weeks.

Well, I've tried fresh pineapple to soften things up. I've been walking, doing squats, bouncing, nipple stimulation, and a reflexology massage. Yesterday was a really cramp-y day. Lots of discharge, some of it brown, and a ton of pressure down low. Today the baby is a little less active, but still moving around. I've heard that once babies start to calm down in the womb, it means they're preparing for the big day. Today there was a lot of hip/leg pain and some mild pressure. I have to go see my OBGYN tomorrow. I'm nervous. I'm planning to stick to my guns about avoiding the C-section, but at the same time, I'm worried she's going to try and force it on me. I mean, February 4th was the second due date I was given(that would be 40 weeks instead of January 29th being 40 weeks), so either way, I'll either be at 40 weeks or 41 weeks by the 5th. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the baby decides to come soon so I can avoid having a C-section unless it becomes medically necessary.

I do have another question real quick. Would it be considered safe to ask, if my cervix hasn't gone past 2-3 cm dilated when I get checked again, for that foley bulb? Has anyone had a successful VBAC with that method rather than being induced another way? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

long uphill hike! that did it for me w my first!

I've heard the only thing that really works is nipple stimulation. If you have a breaat pump you could use that but you have to do it for a while. And apparently rolling the nipples between your fingers (I hate mine being touched so couldn't do it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->