Stopping extended breast feeding

MNORBURY

Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and decided to stop nursing my 26 month old little girl for various reasons - however I'm just wondering what to do next! Tonight she went to sleep with a bottle for the first time ever and it was a comfort thing for her but does anybody know if I should really be introducing a bottle at 2? I considered a sippy cup but she couldn't lie down with that as it would spill and comes out too fast.

My eldest girl was 33 months when I stopped nursing her but she settled with just being cuddled eventually.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Personally we never transitioned to a bottle. My daughter refused aNy sort of milk after we stopped (still won't touch it!)
For me I dropped all but bed time feed. We'd have a cuddle in bed aNd feed then moved her to her cot. We did that for a couple of weeks and then just went cold turkey.
No cuddles in bed, cuddles downstairs, then up to bed, I wanted to break what she associated with breastfeeding which was cuddles in bed.
It was hard and I felt awful and sad as I wanted her to self wean but I'd had enough, I was 6 months pregnant and it was literally making me squirm!
She adapted really quickly, we had a few days of her trying to pull my top down but that was it.
I don't see any harm with a bottle of it comforts her 😊 however it may be worth considering how long you'd be happy with her having a bottle for, and do you want to go through two lots of weaning in a short space of time? Just a thought! My 20m has a bottle still and I'm in no rush of her dropping it any time soon x

Thanks for your reply - I too was at the squirming point and she's a frequènt night waker (as is my 5 year old!) so I'm just constantly exausted at being a human dummy and bed hopping all night. Last night I fed her at bedtime then settled her with cuddles/rocking throughout the night but tonight she was overtired and upset so thought i'd try the bottle but in all honesty never thought she'd accept it as I've half heartedly tried previously but she saw it as a game!

I may try again tomorrow without the bottle but use it if she gets upset. I feel doubly guilty as I think her back molars are on their way too! x

I transitioned by giving DS milk in a sippy cup after his tea. Because he was more awake he drank more so took less of a bedtime feed and so after a short while he dropped it completely and just cuddled to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->