Strange Question - Body Lotion When Breastfeeding?

Impatient TTC

Reaction score
So I always use body lotion after I bath or shower, otherwise my skin would be really dry I think. But obviously I'm aware that when breastfeeding, whatever I put on my body goes into baby's mouth. So what's the solution? I guess i could put body lotion on all other areas other than my boobs, and then just put nipple cream on them or something?

Sorry if this sounds dumb but just wondered what others plan on doing.

That's not a dumb question at all :D

I would say to use a non-scented lotion on everywhere BUT your boobs, and then stick with only nipple cream on those. Baby will love your scent best (and both of my DDs actually had skin reactions whenever I used even SOAP with scent) so sticking with as little fragrance as possible is best. I know that stinks (no pun intended), since it feels nice to put lotion on and smell nice after a shower.

I hope this helps!

I always just avoided putting anything on the nipple area & when he was really little I would avoid putting anything on my boobs either:flower: - as he grew and I realised I would be feeding him for longer than the six months I think I was a little bit more comfortable with putting body lotion on but still avoided the nipple area.

I've been trying to avoid putting anything on my nipples lately, but I would stick with the nipple cream and then moisturize the rest of your body.

Ah OK well sounds like for the beginning at least I ought to get some fragrance-free body lotion and avoid boobs/nipples. This will be weird for me cause I am a very smell-conscious person (i feel a bit naked without perfume on!).

Glad I asked though - thanks for responding :flower:

Ah OK well sounds like for the beginning at least I ought to get some fragrance-free body lotion and avoid boobs/nipples. This will be weird for me cause I am a very smell-conscious person (i feel a bit naked without perfume on!).

Glad I asked though - thanks for responding :flower:

I always feel naked without perfume or some kind of body mist on...

Lansinoh is really good for nipples but very expensive. I even go to extent of using roll on deodorant rather than spray incase of spray particles gettin on my boobs.

Id still use normal lotions on rest of body, sorry missed that bit.

Lansinoh is great for the nipples, that's what I will be using again :)

Coconut oil! It goes a lot further than lansinoh, and has lauric acid for your bf baby, and it moisturizes! I've been using it on my nipples when they get dry and itchy. Fixes the problem, and I won't be afraid to put it in baby's mouth when he gets here.

Ina May's guide to breastfeeding recommends that you don't use soap or lotions on your breasts, starting in pregnancy. I'm following that advice. I've also switched my usual soap and lotion for non-scented stuff.

hope that helps x

I second coconut oil. It should be virgin coconut oil, but it's safe to use as a nipple ointment, and it can be used as a moisturiser (and it's edible, and it's generally amazing stuff-google it!)

With regards to the 2 ladies using coconut oil, what if baby is born with un diagnosed nut allergy, will this not be dangerous?

Coconut oil is extremely non-allergenic. It's used to boost the intake of calories in NICU babies. Lets see if I can find the info I read. But yes, I was worried about allergies before I looked into it.

On iPod, so I'll have to add to this a few times to do more than one link. Here's the first one:

https://www.vmvhypoallergenics.com/...health/39-skin-health/341-coconut-oil-allergy
It's important to use only virgin coconut oil, which is usually cold pressed. Cheaper coconut oil isn't as pure and isn't as good for your skin, and is more allergenic.

Second:
https://www.naturebeds.com/coconut-oil-baby.html

And third:
https://www.allergy.org.au/patients/food-allergy/coconut-allergy

A coconut isn't a nut, so a baby with a nut allergy would probably be ok with coconut. Given coconut oil is an ingredient in formula, I'm quite happy with the idea of using it as a nipple ointment. I have heard of allergies to lanolin, which is also pretty non-allergenic, so there's no guarantee that whatever you use won't cause problems.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I couldn't find this info anywhere so I figured I'd throw my 2¢ in just in case it'll help someone else.

I recently switched from cocoa butter lotion to a mango mandarin scented lotion, and now my breast milk smells like the lotion, despite only using it on my hands, arms, and feet. DD hasn't shown an aversion and as far as I can tell it tastes fine but I had to stop using the lotion. It was too weird having that smell come from my bm.

I never knew that could happen so I just wanted to share for anyone else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->