Strengthening legs

EmSmith1980

4 plus 1 on the way
Reaction score
We've been advised by physio not to use door bouncers or babywalkers, but what toys can you recommend for strengthening Anya's legs? Has anyone used an entertainer? Something like this: https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-...rog-Learn-and-Groove-Activity-Station(0027507) or are these too similar to a baby walker? 1st birthday coming up next month and totally struggling what to get to help her along. xx

hey hun!

im sure one of the girls has more knowledge. walkers are huge no-no's these days but i think things like activity stations and jumperoos are a lil different.

i would go for the entertainer tbh and just use it for short bursts of time. it wont pressurise her into anything i guess?

we never had a physio really, but we did have a jumperoo and i did feel it helped Alex hugely. shes was only ever in it for a short while at a time. i know this could go in the door bouncer catergory though :/

buy entertainers, you might be onto something.

Hey.

Anya see's the physio every hospital appointment. I think it's to do with her IVH, incase of weakness on the left side.

I feel like we're stuck in one of those ruts, she just needs to turn a wee corner. She's so close to crawling but her wee arms and legs just aren't strong enough (no wonder, cos they are so skinny).

Not really wanting to phone Gill. We're still with the community nurses although not seen them for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

xxxxx

yes! that sticky time! its weird though, it can literally happen over night! alex had her ivh too so i always expected someone to say something but no-one did, i just had to use my noggin.

if you're really concerned give gill (r u meanin Mitchell?) a wee phone and she can leAve a message with someone like the physios to give u a ring back and advise you, they might have some ideas we havent thought of? x

I didn't use any walkers, jumperoo's etc as I am a swot and follow the advise of the physio (Hilary) :haha:

I didn't do anything special with Holly to strengthen her legs and she started cruising at 9 months corrected and walking at 15 months corrected so within the age range for reaching her milestones.

From about 8 months corrected she became obsessed with walking and had to spend ages holding her hands to walk or she moaned which was a killer on the back but I guess in a way that helped strengthen her legs.

Holly also has an IVH.

I just feel demented, lol. No community nurse Gill (it's usually her who calls or visits, but Diana or Sandra too). xx

i think its just about time, once anya starts getting on the move everything will follow :)

I'm a bit of a swot too 25weeker, lol, I'm scared to do anything I shouldn't be doing. My oldest had a walker and had really flat feet, so against them anyway. My other 3 kids were late walkers (all full termers), Lennox never walked till nearly 16.5 months. xxxxx

whats the problem with walkers and door bouncers? Sorry for being a dim wit. Ive bought Amelia a jumperoo for christmas. Should I return it?

I was told at our physio assessment that jumperoos were ok but definitely not walkers, which I don't like the idea of anyway as I remember my little sister walking into things and tipping over when she was a baby. I hope jumperoos are ok as granny has already bought him one for Christmas.

Gill phoned me out of the blue yesterday so asked her about strengthening Anya's legs, she said I've to pop into the NNU tomorrow to see Hilary. :) Will let you know how we get on. xx

Alexa and Owen have a jumperoo and I have found that it has helped immensely, especially with Owen. We only allow them to go in it for very short periods of time and only once or twice a day. Owen loves being on his feet now and we spendh hours and hours holding his hands to keep him upright!

Got to the NNU and was told Hilary was off for the Monday holiday. :( Gill said she'd get Hilary to phone me today. Not heard anything yet.

Saw a few nurses, so stayed and chatted for 20mins. And dropped off Anya's oxygen back pack.

Gill said to ask at clinic when the oxygen will be taken away. I was told we'd get to keep it all over winter. Scary. Anya's not had a cold since she came off o2, but I worry what she'll be like if she was to get totally choked up. :( :( xx

Hilary the physio phoned and we're going in to see her on Monday. :) xx

Phew! That's a shame you had to go all the way though for Hilary not to be there. Still, Hilary is fab!

Cant help with legs but to strengthen arms we were advised to get an exercise ball, put LO on with her arms in a crawling position, hold them is position if you need to and roll the ball slowly from side to side, back and forth and gently tap the ball.

It might not seem like it works but it defiantly does.

Iv just realised that the instructions arnt that clear, if your still stuck i can make a video tomorrow with lo to show if you want

Yes, i used the one i had when i was pregnant.

Oh I have one somewhere, in a box, in a cupboard. Prob be better buying a new one cos I cba digging it out, lol.

So I just stick her on top in crawling position and move it about (holding on to her obv, lol)?

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->