STREP B

sglascoe

Mum of 4, Soon 5
Reaction score
Hi all, :hi:

on my last pregnancy while in labour, i had a terrible time, i only remember bits but what i remember was shaking uncontrolably and falling in and out of sleep, i had an epidural so was not able to feel much, but i remember there was alot of doctors and mws round me.

Anyhows managed to give birth to my beautiful baby boy after doctors and mws sorted me out, few hours later i was told my baby and me had to have IV antibiotics for at least 7 days (which meant staying in hospital).

When i asked the mw on the ward why? she said it was because i had an infection during labour called strep b, but she never told me anything about it, it was just "you've got it and that is it" sort of thing.:shrug:

Now that i am pregnant again, i am so worried that i will have the same experience giving birth to this baby, have looked it up on google, but would really like to know if anybody has experienced the same.

please help.

You can get tested for it but you have to go private. Also, just because you had it then doesn't mean you'll have it now.

I'm sorry, but I haven't experienced it. The Strep B bacteria is a natural bacteria occurring around your vagina/rectal area and it comes and goes. However, it is potentially harmful for the baby if the baby comes in contact with it for too long a period of time.

Here in Canada it is mandatory that we get swabbed and tested for Strep B between 35-37 weeks. I haven't got my results back as of yet.

Is there any way that you can ask your GP or MW to do a Strep B swab for you because you're concerned about the same thing happening as in your first pregnancy?

i will certainly ask at my next appointment in 3 weeks.

Make sure if they say no you push it. They don't normally do these tests so it might be quite hard to get one. Make sure they know just how worried you are! Good luck :)

It's mandatory to have it here in the states. I wonder why they don't do it routinely over there.

If you have had Strep B in a previous pregnancy, I was told by my doctor that they dont even test the next time around. They will put you on antibiotics during labor. Generally if they are aware of it, and give you antibiotics, there are no harmful side effects to the baby, and he/she shouldn't have to stay in the hospital for a longer amount of time. Did they never test you with your first one before labor? They routinely test here in the US, and like the other girls have said, its a bacteria that is found in women in the vagina and rectum. Its a different form of Streptococcus A which is what causes strep throat. Its no big deal, and is quite common in women, but it can be harmful if untreated with newborns. I had my test done at 35 weeks, all she did was swab the very outside of my vagina and rectum, and sent it away. It came back negative a couple days later. Make sure you make your doctor aware that you had it with your first pregnancy, so she can either test you or take the proper precautions during labor.

In Australia we are tested from 35-37 weeks as well...

I have a story to tell about my experience with strep b. Its not a happy ending but please be aware i'm not telling you this to frighten you.

In Jan 2006 i was 25 weeks pregnant. I woke up one morning shivering and being violently sick. By lunchtime i started getting period pains and realised that my baby hadnt been kicking that morning. I called out the doctor who phoned for an ambulance. On the way to the hospital i started premature labour. By the time i got to the hospital i was in established labour and dilating rapidly.

They gave me an ultrasound which showed my baby daughter had died. I gave birth to her within minutes of arriving at the hospital.

I was very ill and could hardly stay consious. After many tests it showed that i had strep b. Apparently the bacteria had got into the baby's sac and gave my little girl blood poisoning which had killed her. This then got into my blood and gave me blood poisoning too. I nearly died.

I was put on strong antibiotics and stayed in for 5 days.

I am now 26 weeks pregnant and am being monitored very closely. I have been given antibiotics every 4-5 weeks to keep the strep b to a minimum and so far it seems to be working. The doctors want to deliver this baby at 36 weeks by c-section so there is less chance for the baby to pick up the strep b by not coming through the birth canal. I have been having regular swabs too.

I have been told that once you have strep b, you always have it. 30% of women are carriers so it is pretty common although it is very rare to cause problems. I was very very unlucky.

At least you know you have this and you can be sure that they put you on antibiotics as soon as you go into labour. I know that they have to do this preferably before your waters break.

Sorry if this has scared you but i couldnt read and say nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->