Stretch and sweep before homebirth - help!

MollyMoo24

Reaction score
Hi, I have booked for a homebirth and I'm currently 40+5. I have been offered a sweep when I'm 41 weeks but I know many people who are offered them from 40 weeks with a first baby and I saw someone mention in the 3rd tri forum that sometimes they offer them even earlier if a home birth is planned.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and when you were offered them as my midwife has a bit of an attitude and has never been keen on my home birth so wanting to know if the info she has given me is correct.

Oh and I'm in Cumbria, UK

Thanks x x

With my first homebirth my midwife offered and I accepted and it had no effect. With my subsequent homebirths I didn't accept a sweep and went into labour naturally. It is your prerogative to decline if you see no benefit and there are good reasons not to try to bring on labour before it naturally occurs. You might find this article useful:

How Baby Initiates Labour
https://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

I was due to have one at 40+5 with dd2 (dd1 was born 38+5 so didn't get that far) but she came the day before and she said she was doing it that early because I wanted a hb. My sil had one with her 2nd and 3rd both at 41 weeks, I presume if I wasn't having a hb I'd be the same. She's have done it at 40 week but the centre was closed for Xmas holidays!
Every area seem to have their own policies on when and how things are done. X

I had a homebirth booked and had sweeps at 40 weeks, 41 weeks & 41+4 but none worked :-(

I had a sweep at 40+6 and went into labour the following morning. 36 hours later my son was born at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->