Stretch and Sweep...

StephanieRose

Reaction score
If my little man hasn't decided to show his face by Wednesday the 10th then my midwife is going to give me a stretch and sweep to try bring on my labour (FINALLY!) I'm so excited but then quite nervous as well (I know this will sound silly because of course giving birth will be more painful) but I am nervous that it will really hurt, It sounds painful!
For anyone who doesn't know what a stretch and sweep is (Just in case) it is when your LMC puts her fingers into your CERVIX (ouch) and stretches it open by separating her fingers, she then takes one finger and does a full 360 sweep around the babies head to 'disturb the membranes' hopefully making your body start realising the hormone to start labour.
I don't know if this is just me being a scardy cat but it sounds PAINFUL!
Has anyone had/having this done?? And does it hurt?

Grin and bear it :D you could have your LO here a lot quicker! And could prevent an induction which can we a lot more painful! :hugs: :flower:

I didn't need one but a lot of girls I know that have had one were mixed between painful and just uncomfy. I hope it's not too bad for you :)

I had 5 to try and bring on labour, it depends who does it with weather it is uncomfy or painful, it was fine when the midwives did it, but after I got put into high risk an ob tried it and that did hurt. But they are not as bad as they sound!! They didn't work for me and I ended up with oxytocin induction, but fingers crossed it gets things moving for you!

Oh my gosh, that does sound scary! LOL! Sorry, I'm not much support. We don't do the stretch and sweep thing over here. Usually doctors will just tell you to walk around a lot to try and get your labor on moving. Although here in the US, a lot of doctors do induction even if you're only a few days late. Good luck! :) I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks, hopefully it's just uncomfty! Haha
Wow 5!? you must have started to get sick of them!!
I wish I could just walk around to bring on my labour but I am bound to bed rest due to having a cracked pelvis :(

I was pretty over it all towards the end:p Even when it did hurt it wasn't too bad at all :) the thought of them is so much worse then the actual stretch and sweep. Oh my god!!! Cracked pelvis?! That must be so painful!! So your still able to give birth naturally? Do you just have to stay put on the bed? Hopefully your bub decides to make an appearance soon :)

I had it done yesterday. I was nervous like you but I can honestly say it wasn't painful at all. It was over really quickly too. I have had smear tests that were more painful. The only thing is I have been really unwell since having it with painful cramps and upset tummy and I've hardly slept a wink. I'm booked in for another one on Monday but I think I may cancel. Hopefully I'll go into labour before then. Don't worry about the pain though because it really isn't that bad x

Yeah I am still able to give birth naturally at this point in time, I just need to stay in bed, no moving and be closely monitored. Hopefully he will show his face before I need a stretch and sweep but if not I really hope it works :)

How far along will you be when they do the membrane sweep? I sort of want one at 39 weeks but idk if they will do it until I'm 40 weeks or how it all works lol!

My first really hurt which I had at 40+2 but i had been losing mucus plug and my cervix had started to soften and dilate so I guess that's why it hurt so much. It was over with in seconds though and seemed to bring my labour on so would definitely recommend it :) I had a few more when in early stages of labour and it didnt hurt half as much then x

I got the stretch and sweep done today and it didn't hurt, it was just uncomfortable because I am already 2cm dilated :)
I am 37w+4days today

Just had my first sweep today! I'll let you know if anything happens haha! I'm 3 cm dilated already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->