Stronger let down 2nd time around? Does baby learn to deal with it?

superfrizbee

Love my princess & prince
Reaction score
With dd I never felt my let down and after the early weeks BFing was easy. This time with ds I do feel it. BFing started well but he seems to be struggling more and more with the flow now and has developed a click to his latch :( I try reclining and relatching but it doesnt help! His latch has also got loose and lazy and it's stressing me out. His nappies are plentiful and generally yellow but we do get the odd green daily recently. Will he learn to deal with it as he gets bigger? Or is his latch doomed now? :(

I've always had a fast let down DS could never handle it (ep after first week) DD choked a lot to begin with but now handles it much better. (And it's still just as fast) I used to, and sometimes still do, collect the milk as it sprayed out because she's pulled off then made her wait until the milk flow stopped to relatch and that helped her.

I also didn't feel the let down first time around. This time I only have a big let down on left boobie. For a long time DD preferred right boobie, but now she is older she prefers the left so I guess as they get older they are able take the flow. She gets very frustrated with the right one now not giving up the milk quick enough.

Mine really struggled, coughed, spluttered, clicked, and soon started to shallow-latch. After about 2 months, she totally refused to feed from the more aggressive side (it could fill a 6oz bottle in just under a minute using a manual pump, no word of a lie). Then she refused both sides. She was diagnosed with a posterior tongue tie at 4.5 months, which we had snipped. By 6 months, she was coping much better with the flow. Now, she rarely has any problems. So in our case, she needed a little help to learn to deal with it. Happy to report though that she now much prefers the crazy side.

I used to express off the worst of the spray before feeding her, but it was a pain in the arse.

If things don't start to improve once you feel your supply has calmed down, it's always worth checking for posterior tie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->