Struggling to choose a baby carrier! - Sling, wrap, front facing?? advice please

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

Our baby is due in 4 weeks and we would like to be able to use a carrier from birth. Initially i thought about getting The Babasling, but as I suffer with occasional back problems (sciatica) I worry that all of the weight being on one side will aggrivate this. I have also looked at the wrap style carriers (which look like fabric wrapped around the body and although I think it would be excellent for carrying the baby close to my chest, I dont think it would be suitable for my Husband (could be wrong?)

Can anyone give me any advice, if you have either used a standard style carrier, sling or wrap and which seems best?

Thanks

hey hun i have a mothercare 3 way carrier, you can have the child facing towards you or away from you its quite comfortable aswell.

can fit a child up to 12kg (18 months), selling it cheap aswell, £13 including pnp x

Attachments

• baby sling.jpg
    baby sling.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 6
I tried to wear my daughter in a baby carrier when she was tiny, but we didn't get on with either of the two I had. This time around I've done a bit of research and bought a moby wrap, they're supposed to be really good for newborns and get lots of good reviews, including on here.

It might be an idea to ask in the 'Natural Parenting' section of the forums as they know their stuff about baby carriers over there :)

Avoid front facing and crotch-dangling types!
Check out: https://www.hipdysplasia.org/Develo...rriers-Seats-and-Other-Equipment/Default.aspx

And i'd second the Natural Parenting section :)

If you want one with clips and structured go for an ergo or mei-tai style with clips (like a boba, connecta, babyhawk, beco or similar), there are loads to choose from with lovely designs too

I started off with one of the 3-way carriers,it was horribly painful for me and not comfy for my wee one either, front facing is really not recommended either, bad for babies spine and hips, and can lead to overstimulation. If you're interested, theres some great information in here - well worth a read:
https://www.bobafamily.com/research/strollers-baby-carriers-and-infant-stress/#11

Personally I like mei-tai's and wraps, but if theres a sling library near you then i'd go to try stuff on and see what suits you best :D

To start off with I'd recommend a Moby or a Close/Caboo Carrier. Depending on the size of your LO this could last you to 4-6 months and then I'd move onto a woven wrap or a more structured carrier ie Ergo, etc.

Men can totally use a wrap!
Just get a nice neutral colour and make sure you both practise a lot before the baby comes.

I have a close caboo and love it! I started off with a babasling but the close is much better. More comfortable, easier to use and you know the baby is in the correct position. My baby loves to sleep on me in the close so something must be good! My DH also loves wearing her in it although ours is light green and I think he'd prefer a more manly colour! Haha!

I agree on a wrap like the Moby wrap but in a neutral color for the hubby.

I tried to wear my daughter in a baby carrier when she was tiny, but we didn't get on with either of the two I had. This time around I've done a bit of research and bought a moby wrap, they're supposed to be really good for newborns and get lots of good reviews, including on here.

It might be an idea to ask in the 'Natural Parenting' section of the forums as they know their stuff about baby carriers over there :)

I know this is completely off topic, but your profile avatar is the most adorable photo i've seen..

Also, booda's suggestion is great.
If you can find a sling library near you, you can try out all kinds of wraps, ring slings, mei tei and soft structured carriers before you buy anything.

From birth I'd recommend a sling or a cloth in any case(aka woven pieces of fabric that you tie, or knot , or ring slings that use the same material but get fixed with the rings .
Most carriers even if they offer infant set ins aren't really suitable for infants as many of them don't allow a round back. Also it is quite hard to get the legs to fit properly. front , hip and back carry is all good, creche carry is actually outdated and not as good, front facing front carry is to be avoided as this is bad for the back and hip development as well as it is to overwhelming for an infant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->