Stuck with toilet training, help!

MrsClark24

Reaction score
My 2 1/2 yr old is currently toilet training. We we leave her with no nappy and no pants she wees happily on the potty. The problem is when she has a nappy/pull ups or knickers on. She will not tell me she needs a wee when she has anything on her bottom half!

How do I get her to tell me when she needs the toilet? I constantly ask her "do you need a wee?" And she will sweetly reply "nope!" Then 5 min later she's had an accident.

Help!

Snap. Exactly the same except I have a boy, not a girl. Naked from the waist down, he's perfect. Put a pair of undies on him and he is hit and miss at best, absolutely terrible at worst. I am completely stumped

Ok - bad mummy alert!!

I took dd to the toilet regularly when we started potty training. Every 30 mins or so for the first day or two. Every time she wee'd on the potty she got a chocolate button. After a couple of days the toilet trips became less frequent- say every hour & the buttons became inconsistent. Sometimes she'd get one & sometimes not - with no logic - just pot luck! Apparently that kind of reinforcement is super strong (think gambling - placing bets, only winning sometimes, but they keep on betting). She would always get a button in the early days for poop or telling me she needed to go. & then we made that inconsistent too.

Naughty. But it worked! It doesn't have to be a chocolate reward - favourite fruit or stickers might work if they're a really big deal to your lo.

Hope you crack it soon :)

Hi :)

I used bath tints (you can get them on Amazon). They are little fizzy tablets that are meant to dye the colour of the water. I would put them in the potty, and both my girls loved weeing on them and watching the colour change! It made it a fun thing for them, and worked really well. :)

I also put a lot of picture books near the potty, and let them run around without bottoms on. They then liked to sit on the potty with their books :)

Hope this is a bit helpful, and good luck!

x

Hah, in our case we just waited until they were almost 4 - DS1 trained in about a week, with a handful of accidents, and DS2 in 3 days, with only one accident ever. They were immediately dry at night as well...They were simply never interested prior to this.

Ok - bad mummy alert!!

I took dd to the toilet regularly when we started potty training. Every 30 mins or so for the first day or two. Every time she wee'd on the potty she got a chocolate button. After a couple of days the toilet trips became less frequent- say every hour & the buttons became inconsistent. Sometimes she'd get one & sometimes not - with no logic - just pot luck! Apparently that kind of reinforcement is super strong (think gambling - placing bets, only winning sometimes, but they keep on betting). She would always get a button in the early days for poop or telling me she needed to go. & then we made that inconsistent too.

Naughty. But it worked! It doesn't have to be a chocolate reward - favourite fruit or stickers might work if they're a really big deal to your lo.

Hope you crack it soon :)

If you're concerned about sugary snacks, chocolate chips are actually fairly low sugar. In terms of dependence on reinforcers, it's pretty easy to wean a kid off of them. All you do is you stop reminding them about the reinforcer. They get it when they ask, but not when they forget to ask. It takes a while but doesn't last forever and is a pretty easy transition to make.

I'm not sure how to transition to pants since I never did the naked method, but what do you do when an accident happens? Can you tell when she's about to pee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->