Stupid question about GD

RcdM

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I've had low blood sugar all my life, and it's been worse during this pregnancy and I need to eat pretty often to avoid getting faint and dizzy. My question is... could gestational diabetes be something I might get if I continuously eat too many sweets (it's all I've been craving lately!)? Or is it much less likely since I'm always fighting to keep my blood sugars up anyway? Does that even make sense to anyone else? I googled it but didn't find much about someone with low blood sugar getting GD, only how if you have GD your insulin shots or whatever can cause low blood sugar. I'm really just curious more than anything.

Recent research has pointed to defects in the expansion of islet cells (insulin producing cells in the pancreas) as being the culprit for GD, at least in mice.

While diet can help regulate GD progression, it's unlikely you will develop GD from eating sweets alone unless you already have a predisposition towards it.

Outside of pregnancy my blood sugars would go low a lot, now during pregnancy I have gestational diabetes so I know its possible,I dont even eat many sweets.

Hmm, interesting. I know one factor that increases your likelihood is having diabetes in your family, which I do. I didn't get it in my first pregnancy. I'm not sure why I though eating a lot of sugary stuff would cause it, but I did hear that if you have it you would need to control your diet better, so I guess I made the association there. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->