Sudden trouble latching on

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
For the past two days my baby is showing difficulties latching on. He is not really opening his mouth very wide, mainly suckling on the tip of my nipple. Prior to this he was latching on without any problems since he was born. He has not had a bottle or anything. I also notice an increase in my milk supply- my breasts are very heavy/hard. He spending less time on each breast at each feeding, but is eating just as often. I notice that my milk comes out very fast in the beginning (squirting/dripping all over him when he is trying to latch on). I am not sure what is normal. Could he have trouble latching on because the flow is too fast or because my breasts are too full? He is getting very frustrated when latching on and it is heartbreaking. HELP please!

if you have a pump or can hand express that first bit to see if taking out some of the umph of the initial let down helps. could at least figure it out if it is that. and if it is...just express (hand or pump) for a few minutes before feeding him then let him latch on as normal

if you have a pump or can hand express that first bit to see if taking out some of the umph of the initial let down helps. could at least figure it out if it is that. and if it is...just express (hand or pump) for a few minutes before feeding him then let him latch on as normal

Thank you!! I hand expressed a little and he latched on with greater ease. Now I just have to figure out why I am filling up with so much more milk. I hope he is taking enough.

Thank you!! I hand expressed a little and he latched on with greater ease. Now I just have to figure out why I am filling up with so much more milk. I hope he is taking enough.

Some women just have a more forceful let down then others. As he gets older he may be able to handle it. But I'm glad it helped! And as long as hes making 6 wet diapers a day, you're good :)

I had forceful let down and I found laying down to nurse helped. I would lay on a towel and lay her beside me. I hand expressed when we couldnt lay down. She learned how to deal with as she got older. It has since calmed down.

He is definitely good in the diaper department- he pees/poops after or during every feeding haha. I will try laying down- thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->