Suddenly feeding frequently but just for a few minutes at a time -- normal?

phrumkidost

Reaction score
My three week old son (EBF) is suddenly wanting to be fed quite frequently, like once every hour or less. But the feeds are quite short, around five minutes or less. This is a change from him waiting a few hours between feeds and then feeding for around 15 minutes or more. Is this sort of change normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I seem to have an oversupply of milk so have been sticking with one breast for two feeds (especially when they are short and with little time between them).

My son is almost 4 weeks old and ebf and started doing this at 2 weeks. He typically does this during his cluster feeding times, and will nurse for short periods frequently- like every hour or so for 3-4 hours, one day it was 6 hours :wacko: I put it down to a growth spurt since the more frequently he nurses the more milk will be simulated & supplied. My LO is growing great and the pediatrician didnt seem worried at out appointment last week so I don't think it's anything to worry about :flower:

Anyone else? I am feeding him more than 12 times a day!

Hey - no you aren't alone, my baby is also 3 weeks and often wants to feed hourly, and at least every 2 hours! She also doesnt feed for that long, sometimes only 5-7 mins. I think they are growing a lot a lot at the moment plus their tummies are so small I think they can't take much at a time, but digest it so quickly they are hungry again in no time! Exhausting though isn't it? Hopefully someone with more experience can give us some insight!

Ps does your baby get fussy? Mine has started in the evenings kicking legs, pulling while,feeding etc, wondering if it is gas?

Me too! Baby is 24-days old and
feeds are sporadic since he was born. It's like one day a week he will want to feed every hour. The rest of the time I have to fight him awake to eat.

It's not only been difficult to get a schedule down but my milk supply has gone from engorged/mastitis to practically dried up. I don't understand this!

Hey - no you aren't alone, my baby is also 3 weeks and often wants to feed hourly, and at least every 2 hours! She also doesnt feed for that long, sometimes only 5-7 mins. I think they are growing a lot a lot at the moment plus their tummies are so small I think they can't take much at a time, but digest it so quickly they are hungry again in no time! Exhausting though isn't it? Hopefully someone with more experience can give us some insight!

Ps does your baby get fussy? Mine has started in the evenings kicking legs, pulling while,feeding etc, wondering if it is gas?

Oh, so nice to hear I am not alone! And yes, it is quite exhausting! Hopefully this stage will pass quickly. Although once I see LO finally peacefully asleep my heart just melts and it's all worth it...

feeds are sporadic since he was born. It's like one day a week he will want to feed every hour. The rest of the time I have to fight him awake to eat.

It's not only been difficult to get a schedule down but my milk supply has gone from engorged/mastitis to practically dried up. I don't understand this!

My milk supply has totally dwindled, too! He does get fussy and I don't know if it is gas or not enough milk.

Make sure he's getting enough milk because sometimes they eat like that when they are not getting enough ounces so they feed more often.

It sounds like it is cluster feeding or just wanting to comfort by sucking.

Congrats on your LO by the way!

I second cluster or comfort feeding. They will also become better nursers as they get older. Also their feeding habits will change as they go through growth and learning spurts and it can be really confusing, just trust yourselves and keep an eye on the wet and dirty diapers. If they start to significantly decrease then you might give the ped a call.

Your body will learn how much milk to make so you won't always have engorgement issues. Some people get it under control sooner than others.

The feeding every hour is cluster feeding and thats totally normal. Some babies do this more than others, kids just vary. It just means they are growing :thumbup:

That sounds like gas, if it is what we had to do was nurse laying down and we gave her gas drops (with doctor permission) when we couldn't nurse like that. I had a fast let down which caused her to suck in more air while she nursed.

hi ladies it's a growth spurt.

3 WEEKS, 6 WEEKS, 9 WEEKS, 12 WEEKS AND A HUGGGGE one at 16 weeks ... anither at 6 months and just hitting one now at 36 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->