Summer baby Q's!

My last one was a June baby so managed summer with him. I wore him in a 'normal' carrier as I didnt have a wrap then, I plan to use my woven wraps this summer with Theo though. Bit warm sure but rather that then have him in a pram.
Co-sleeping wise I did with my last one and will with this, I just use cotton blankets and have a fan at the foot of the bed to cool the air.
The heater airers are ok, I had a plug in one but it was friggin expensive to run and in the end I just dried everything outside or hung it on a normal airer and waited the extra 12 hours for it to dry. A lot of my cloth will hang dry overnight even nowhere near a radiator, the Pop In bamboo inserts and the SIO Itti inserts take a bit longer but its not too bad, especially if you have plenty of nappies (*cough*)

we have this..

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/heated-t...g-laundry-clothes-horses-airers/product/21736

its brill, pricey but very cheap to run and it doesn't heat up too much so it shouldnt heat up a room much at all, also you can only put up half of it and have it flat against a wall.

Even if you dont plug it in it it makes a lot of hanging space for laundry, it was invaluable to me and hubby when we were in a flat and didnt have any outdoor space or a tumble drier.

Dexter was born at the end of May, and it was a heatwave when we got out of hospital! We weren't CDing then, so I can't advise on that, but I wore him in the Moby during the summer, and also co-slept. I just made sure the blankets were thin and most nights he slept in just a nappy (sometimes with a fan on too. It was HOT!)

Adam was born in August as well, but we didn't start with cloth nappies till he was a month old, so it was mid-Sept and cooling down a little. I found the nappies air-dried well on warm days but getting into October it was tricky because it wasn't cold enough for the radiators to be on but was not warm enough for the nappies to dry quickly either. It does depend on the type of nappy, though - something like a BumGenius pocket nappy would dry fine but a fitted bamboo would take a couple of days.

As for babywearing - again I didn't start till I was alone with Adam (4 weeks, I had my OH and my mum around for the first month so I didn't need to wear him, and I couldn't be bothered working out the sling much before then either), so it was a little cooler.

We co-slept a lot in the early days, he was fine with just a cotton babygro and his nappy and a cotton sheet. It was really warm in the bedroom but we kept an eye on the temp and it was never actually too hot for him. We had a fan to keep the air circulating, and kept the blinds down in the day so the room didn't overheat too badly.

Good luck! What's your due date?

Hey hun, Daisy came in the middle of a heat wave and it was horrendous!! my biggest bit of advice is to get the best fan you can afford!!!

Do you have anywhere you can hang nappies in one of the sock / underwear dryer thingines outside/near a window thats open?? i find most of my nappies dry in a few hours in full blown summer :)

We semi co slept in the summer and just used cotton sheets, Daisy slept in just a vest and nappy and we were fine :)

I loved BW'ing in the summer...get your LO out in just a nappy, Baby legs and a little tee shirt and wear a little vest you will be fine :thumbup: especially if you have a wrap or something......looks soo lovely :) HTH's

OOH and Lots of baby suncream and sun hats for BW'ing

sara

xxxxxxxxx

I remember reading someone posting a while a go and she had no where to dry nappies/clothes etc so she'd wired baby bunting around the LO's room and hung her washing on there! How would you normally dry your clothes? I'd imagine you'd be able to dry the nappies in the same way?

We did similar as Sara for co sleeping, just a vest and loose cotton sheet :thumbup:

Before we got a washer-dryer, when I got short of drying space I stuck a few nails high up in the walls and strung string across the bedroom and used it as washing line. It wasn't sturdy enough for big stuff but it was perfect for hanging nappies cos they were small enough to walk underneath. Also, if you have one of those cupboards with a hot water tank in it, it's a perfect place to dry nappies cos it's always warm from the hot water. I use those sock hanging things and some makeshift shelves.

I do have a dryer but usually my nice nappies are ir dried we have a dehumidifier and i air them on the radiator.

Before we got a washer-dryer, when I got short of drying space I stuck a few nails high up in the walls and strung string across the bedroom and used it as washing line. It wasn't sturdy enough for big stuff but it was perfect for hanging nappies cos they were small enough to walk underneath. Also, if you have one of those cupboards with a hot water tank in it, it's a perfect place to dry nappies cos it's always warm from the hot water. I use those sock hanging things and some makeshift shelves.

it must of been you i was thinking of, glad i didn't just dream that :haha:

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Bean is due August 9th... i'm not looking forward to third tri at all. I'm a summer-hater anyway and haaate being hot! I'm moving after the baby's born to a bigger place with a garden so I wont have these problems the following year, thank goodness.

So! From this thread I have gathered that I need... to buy a HUGE powerful fan, cotton blankets, LOTS of nappies :)haha::winkwink::haha:), possibly a heated airer, and i'll string some wire across my windows and inside my airing cupboard to hang nappies from to dry!

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->