Supplement / Lifestyle Advice?

Hortensia

Reaction score
Hi ladies

You hear so much conflicting advice about supplements when ttc over 35. I just wondered which ladies on here would definitely recommend, or if anyone on here who has had success feels that something definitely worked for them?

I'm not really supplementing at the mo, but thinking of getting a B-complex vitamin and CoQ10 for starters. Also starting back with the cough syrup - yuck!

I do take St. Johns Wort daily which I'm a little concerned about. It helps me a lot but I think it might not be best when trying to conceive. Anyone heard anything about that? :huh:

Hi Hortensia,

Not read anything about St John's Wort relating to TTC, but when I discussed it with my doc a while ago he said that there was more effective medication available. He didn't say it was harmful, just that if I wanted to take something there were better alternatives.

I do notice however that B vitamins have a similar effect as St. John's Wort on me - I am more talkative and positive and happier engaging with the world. I think I also have more energy. Maybe you will find the same?

Hi hortensia,
I am taking a prenatal vitamin that is made from whole foods. It was recommended by a naturopath at my local health food store. It contains the necessary vitamins such as E, C and D and folic acid. Taking an essential fatty acid is also a good choice. I have just started TTC, so I don't know if I can guarantee any success from my point of view. I have read up on Co Q10, and it Improves the quality of your aging eggs. I hope this helps!

Hi Hortensia,

Not read anything about St John's Wort relating to TTC, but when I discussed it with my doc a while ago he said that there was more effective medication available. He didn't say it was harmful, just that if I wanted to take something there were better alternatives.

I do notice however that B vitamins have a similar effect as St. John's Wort on me - I am more talkative and positive and happier engaging with the world. I think I also have more energy. Maybe you will find the same?

I think SJW is one of these supplements whose affects are not known during pregnancy or TTC. There's anecdotal evidence on it delaying conception, or on women have no problems at all on it!

I've had depressive episodes in the past and was recently on paroxetine for about five years following a major depressive episode. I came off the meds a year ago as I know it's definitely not recommended in pregnancy (linked to heart defects in babies), but the SJW has been a really helpful substitute. I know doctors usually say 'don't take anything unless there's a study proving it's safe'... :shrug:

Agree about the B vits. I've just started a course and I think they're generally good for mood/nerves.

Hi hortensia,
I am taking a prenatal vitamin that is made from whole foods. It was recommended by a naturopath at my local health food store. It contains the necessary vitamins such as E, C and D and folic acid. Taking an essential fatty acid is also a good choice. I have just started TTC, so I don't know if I can guarantee any success from my point of view. I have read up on Co Q10, and it Improves the quality of your aging eggs. I hope this helps!

Thanks Smilinggirl,

I've just started on B -complex vits and I think the EFA idea is a good one. I try to eat lots of oily fish, but you know that it's not always possible to be completely virtuous with your diet, despite best intentions.

I definitely want to try the CoQ10 though as I've heard it helps to increase general energy, which I could really use. :p

From all the reading I've done vit C/D/E/B and CoQ10. I also take EPO and Vitex CD1-O. Here's a great link on the studied benefits of these and other supplements on pregnancy / m/c : https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/vitamins-and-miscarriage/vitamin-c

Thanks 2have4kids, that's a really interesting website. I guess it can't hurt to be as topped-up with vitamins as possible. We weren't really 'trying' this month, and I realized that I should get my act together in terms of taking B-vits and cutting down on booze and caffeine etc. as well as watching my diet.

I'm currently taking 50 mg ubiquinol but I understand that much higher doses are optimal so might increase it (if I can do so without breaking the bank!)

my list of vitamins is in my signature below but I also drink herbal teas and have given up coffee - my favorite thing!

found a really good article on autoimmune disorders that render women infertile. Are you slightly overweight? Have thyroid, allergies, celiac, or arthritis problems? inflammation and natural killer blood cells can really effect your ability to get/stay preggers. I'm going to get in and give this article to my friend's recommended naturalpathic doctor that I'm going to see. I want all of the tests done. I'm not going into IVF in november without knowing if I have the ability to take some supplements that shut down my bodies over the top response to getting pregnant. I have sever arthritis and this could def be a problem for me.
Why the heck hasn't the fertility clinic done any of the recommended blood tests that she talks about. It sounds very plausible, there are SO many people dealing with inflammation. If not cause by our natural body make-up, then as a reaction to all of the chemicals and crap in our environment. Hope this may help others too if not only as an interesting read.

Hi ladies

You hear so much conflicting advice about supplements when ttc over 35. I just wondered which ladies on here would definitely recommend, or if anyone on here who has had success feels that something definitely worked for them?

I'm not really supplementing at the mo, but thinking of getting a B-complex vitamin and CoQ10 for starters. Also starting back with the cough syrup - yuck!

I do take St. Johns Wort daily which I'm a little concerned about. It helps me a lot but I think it might not be best when trying to conceive. Anyone heard anything about that? :huh:

with our first i did the following (which i believe truly helped...i was 37 when i had our dd):
b6 (to lengthen luteal phase)
"rainbow light one" prenatal vitamin
acupuncture (where they recommended a warming-foods diet, no cold foods)
pre-seed
cbfm

i hope this helps!
:dust:

Hi ladies

with our first i did the following (which i believe truly helped...i was 37 when i had our dd):
b6 (to lengthen luteal phase)
"rainbow light one" prenatal vitamin
acupuncture (where they recommended a warming-foods diet, no cold foods)
pre-seed
cbfm

i hope this helps!
:dust:

I like Rainbow light as well. I take either those or New Chapter Organics, both food based for better absorption.

we tried pre-seed last cycle, unfortunately it did not make any difference for us but then again with hubby's low sperm count there is very little that can help us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->