supplementing vs normal formula

redneckhippy

Reaction score
If you are going to introduce formula but also continue to breastfeed, do you need to use the formulas that are specifically for supplementing or is any formula fine? I don't understand the differences between the different formulas or how you go about choosing one over the other?

I combi-feed and use "regular" formula. She gets 1-2 bottles a day.

My son had Similac Advance in the hospital, and then my sister-in-law brought us some Similac for supplementation when he was a few weeks old. I didn't know with the difference was, so I asked my doctor. She said the only real difference is the caloric amount, and that he could possibly get hungrier quicker on the similac for supplementation. My son never had any issues switching back and forth between those two.

If you are undecided, you could give your doctor a call. She may have a good recommendation for you. She may also have samples of different types of formula at her office.

I used regular formula. I wasn't able to combi-feed for long though. I didn't produce quite enough for my DD's high demands. She would suck me dry and then still scream and want another 2 to 3 oz of formula at each feed. Going back and forth was so stressful.

The only important thing is choosing the formula that is for the right "stage" of baby's life. Newborn to 6 months need stage 1. Other than that the differences between brands are just a slight recipe difference and some babies have a preference, but some don't. Hungry baby formula is "diet" formula so don't get that.

As far as I know the supplementation formula is just a marketing ploy, a way of selling extra formula to an untapped market. As formula companies try to make all their formula as close to breastmilk as they can, I doubt the supplementation type is really that different.

If OP is in the states, we do not have hungry baby formula. I've never heard of that until I came to these boards. I formula fed my son and our options did not include stages in the baby's first year. There was infant formula and then toddler formula.

I combi-feed my 2 month old and have chosen to go with Holle formula, which is a German brand, so getting used to different stages has taken a bit of extra research, but I think I have it figured out now. :)

bdb84- I am in the states. Where did you get Holle? I've heard very good things about it (that it's even better than the organic options we have here), but didn't know you could get it in the US. We haven't started supplementing yet, but probably will when my LO starts daycare soon.

bdb84- I am in the states. Where did you get Holle? I've heard very good things about it (that it's even better than the organic options we have here), but didn't know you could get it in the US. We haven't started supplementing yet, but probably will when my LO starts daycare soon.

I order it on eBay. There are a few ladies who sell it from the states (all with 100% positive feedback) and I always receive it within days. :) It's an amazing formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->