Supply has decreased at 2nd week?

laxobellavida

Reaction score
I had my son two weeks ago. During the first week I was able to pump every 2 hrs and fill about 5 oz. now this week, I seem to be leaking much more often (maybe every half hour or so) and only getting about 2 or 3 oz. when I breastfeed, he always seems to be hungry so I have to give him another ounce or two of formula or stored breastmilk. Is this normal? How can I increase my supply to satisfy LO's hunger.

A two week old's tummy is very tiny still, so is probably only eating that much every time. Does he eat every 2 hours? That's a pretty normal pattern. The very best way to increase your supply is to let baby suckle whenever he wants (which sometimes seems like non. Stop. Nursing.) But it's all totally normal.

If you can ditch the formula for now and just feed baby on demand, your supply will get to where baby needs it. If he's having lots of wet and dirty diapers, and gaining weight, you will be assured he's getting enough :)

Stop pumping and formula. Feed on demand. It is normal for a newborn to feed non stop it does not last forever.

Pumping is not an indication of supply and should not be done in the early days.

A two week old's tummy is very tiny still, so is probably only eating that much every time. Does he eat every 2 hours? That's a pretty normal pattern. The very best way to increase your supply is to let baby suckle whenever he wants (which sometimes seems like non. Stop. Nursing.) But it's all totally normal.

If you can ditch the formula for now and just feed baby on demand, your supply will get to where baby needs it. If he's having lots of wet and dirty diapers, and gaining weight, you will be assured he's getting enough :)

Thank you. I usually pump to have a backup in case my nipples are too sensitive that day and my breasts got very painful because they got engourged :( he's eating about every 2 hours, sometimes three.. He acts hungry so I feed him more and he spits up some of it but right now he's drinking 4 oz. he's a big boy, born at 9 lb 4 oz :)

Stop pumping and formula. Feed on demand. It is normal for a newborn to feed non stop it does not last forever.

Pumping is not an indication of supply and should not be done in the early days.

How come pumping should not he done in the early days? The lactation nurse at the hospital told me pumping was the only way to lower down engourgment.. But I've heard so many different things!

They will sometimes drink more from a bottle in my experience, but I think you're doing great and baby is getting what he needs ;)

I pumped in the early days due to a huge oversupply, but I would pump once in the morning from one breast while lo fed on the other. If you pump a lot in the early days, you risk having an oversupply for much longer than you should, even though it relieves engorgement in the short term. When I had a little stash built up, I could let dh feed lo while I pumped so my body still knew it was feeding time.

As other ladies have said feeding on demand is the best way to have enough milk to satisfy baby. Pumping signals your body to make more milk so actually makes engorgement worse, if you are really uncomfortable hand expression or a manual pump only just until you are more comfortable are the best things to do

How come pumping should not he done in the early days? The lactation nurse at the hospital told me pumping was the only way to lower down engourgment.. But I've heard so many different things!

For the exact opposite that you have been told it causes engorgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->