Supply...how does if work?

Angel21

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
I've been wondering how supply works? If your supply increases do you release more milk with each let down, or gm do you have more letdowns per feed?
I ask because I feel a few letdowns per feed but bubs only gulps for a short period after.
He only gained 50gram last week, and is difficult to keep awake at the breast. We have our 6 week post natal check on Tuesday, so will run the weight gain past my GP.?

Thanks ladies :flower:

It can be either one really, if there is stimulation for let down. It's all based on how much lo needs. If he is sucking, and there is milk left, let down can occur again. If there was no milk left, and he was still hungry, the sucking stimulation would let your body know that more milk needs to be produced.

Babies can gain weight in fits, I think every couple weeks is best for tracking weight gain. Is he having many dirty and wet diapers? If so I wouldn't worry too much, but mention your concerns to the gp.

Try to keep him awake at the breast by undressing him, tickling his neck or face, and basically by being really annoying.

He sounds like he may be just getting satisfied quickly, maybe you have a really fast letdown?

Anyway, hope everything goes ok!

Thank you, I do let down quite fast and often. Tickling his hands normally works, but it can be such a fight to get a decent meal down him! He is a very wet baby, sooo many nappies, probably due to constant grazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->