Supporting home birth

Newagedad

OH, bump and me
Reaction score
Hi everyone
When my OH and I found out she was pregnant we decided to have a home birth. I love the idea as my mother has always tried for a home birthing (1 out of 3) and I am really keen to support her in every way possible but not sure of the best way to do that. Her mother is also putting some pressure on her to give birth in a hospital but i am determined to make sure my lovely lady gets what she wants :thumbup:

Would love some advice :) from a nature loving father to be

We are having a HB

I guess for me DH is just being amazing as he's so supportive and encouraging, he's read up on all the details, he can argue our HB corner with anyone and is really active in asking questions at our m/w appts, about what will happen, what he can do etc. That way when I get pressured he has a calm rational (non hormonal pregnant woman :rofl:) argument
Its much harder for in-laws and well meaning but misguided advice offerers to argue with a well informed dad than a pregnant women (not sure why but its true!!)
I think partially 'cos 'scare' tactics don't work so well

For the actual birth he'll be physically and emotionally supporting me, making sure I eat/drink/rest. Offering encouragement and distraction, reminding me why I'm doing it, why it will be worth it. Reminding me not to be scared but excited instead. Physically and emotionally he will be my rock.

We will be using water as well.

He is also my advocate, he knows me best, he knows when I say 'I can't do this' and and just tired and scared and being a big baby, as opposed to 'I cant do this' when I truly mean I CANNOT do this. He will be the one to say 'she needs help/a rest/pain relief' if I cannot.

He will help to enforce our decisions (pushing in water, natural 3rd stage, vit K, skin-to-skin, delayed cord clamping, BFing etc) particularly if we need to be transfered to hospital.

Good luck! You'll be fine, they are so great about natural active home birthing over here! Oh ............... and get a great m/w!

wow that is the best advice in the world! lol thanks heaps farie definitely going to keep on studying up so I can tackle the in - laws

Try asking your m/w for the Auckland Home Birth Association Pregnancy and Birth booklet (its got a green cover - A4 size)
It covers everything and is well written. I like it as it cover a lot of holistic/alternative approaches.
My DH really liked it.

Haha - you'll win the in-laws round, a lot of the time the negativity towards HB is just fear and lack of knowledge.

I think it's fairly easy to get a homebirth over here than it is elsewhere in the western world. I had no problem finding a homebirth midwife. Go to Homebirth.org.nz and you will find a list of midwives who support homebirths.
I would read up as much as you can with research on homebirths so you can tackle the in laws head on with any doubts they have.
The best thing you can do is be 110% supportive and be her advocate when she meets a person who wants her to have a hospital birth. Woman feel very vunerable when they are pregnant (all animals do, not just humans), so when resistance is met, they sometimes can't stand up for themselves as much as they would want to and that is where their man has to come in and defend them.
NZ is very pro natural birth, I have found. Even last time when I planned a hospital birth, all the literature I got given gave lots of different natural ways of relieving pain with a little bit about epidurals etc.

Thanks kiwimama we just traded in our midwife for a homebirth midwife :D my partner is much happier and confident about having a homebirth, they even have they're own pool! bonus! :D:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->