Swaddling

MissMamma

Mummy
Reaction score
Is this the right section for swaddling?!

I had my antenatal class yesterday and the midwife who led it was really good, promoting natural birthing and parenting, breasfeeding etc etc but she told me you shouldn't swaddle a newborn as they lose the ability to wake themselves up and then don't feed regularly enough to establish a good milk flow for the mother within the first few weeks.

I almost cried [i am an emotional wrech recently! :blush:] but i so desperately wanted to swaddle my little girl and all i'd heard so far about it was good things?! Now i'm stuck.

What should i do?

I swaddled Olivia until she was around 4 months old and she always woke for her bfs fine x

i heard that you shouldn't swaddle because of the risk of overheating, but when i was in the hospital the midwives all swaddled oliver :shrug: i've never heard it had anything to do with them feeding. i wouldn't be put off by it hun xx

Elsie is still swaddled (when she hasn't escaped!) as she wakes herself up with her arms otherwise and she still wakes up at least every 4 hrs for feeds.

We swaddled, then we didn't swaddled and now we're back swaddling :haha: He had a habit of flailing his arms around therefore constantly waking himself up, making mum and dad very very tired. Babies get comfort out of being swaddled :flower:

both my boys were swaddled till about 3 months old each neither got a decent nights sleep without it they were always waking themselves up

My lo is still swaddled as she just wont sleep unless she wrapped up!
She has always woken herself up for a feed.
If you worried about her not waking for a feed in the night just set your alarm for every 2half to 3 hours!
Swaddling is perfect for transitioning newborns from womb to outside as it makes them feel safe.

we swaddled until about 10 weeks and she definitely woke for feeding! But if we didn't swaddle she would wake up after about 10 mins by hitting herself in the face so it was the way forward for us to get her to sleep at all. We stopped swaddling when she started wriggling herself free. We used regular thin fleecy blankets (what they call receiving blankets in the US) but I think if I have another I will invest in some proper swaddling blankets (swaddle me or the like) to make it easier to wrap LO.

both my boys were swaddled till about 3 months old each neither got a decent nights sleep without it they were always waking themselves up

Did they just grow out of it or did you do something to help?? Im not getting much sleep at the mo as Elsie keeps escaping and waking herself up!

Did they just grow out of it or did you do something to help?? Im not getting much sleep at the mo as Elsie keeps escaping and waking herself up!

I found Mothercare to have the best swaddling blankets where you have extra cloth to tuck their arms to stop them escaping, his legs sometimes still manages to get out, but that never wakes him up, its just his arms

https://www.mothercare.com/Bonfit-Baby-Mothercare-Swaddling-Blanket/dp/B000M4XOIE/sr=1-1/qid=1286184702/ref=sr_1_1/275-2793461-9312039?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->