SWAT team throws grenade into playpen

FAB mama

Reaction score
This is just horrible. :cry::cry::cry:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...dler-injured-flash-grenade-drug-raid/9758257/

A SWAT (drug) team was looking for a meth dealer and ended up throwing a grenade into a toddler's playpen while he was sleeping and it exploded in his face. :growlmad: Unbelievable… :cry:

I can't even understand why they would use such devastating weapons at all.

Typically, flash grenades are used merely to incapacitate someone's vision and cause disorientation. In this instance, it would appear that the SWAT team used this tactic because the of the suspect's history with drug use, arrest resistance, and firearm possession.

This poor child was an unlucky victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time:( What angers me most about this situation, however, is that his mother knowingly brought him into a home that she knew was used to traffic meth and contained weapons. I have been about as close to the meth culture as possible without being a user myself, and can attest to the unpredictablilty of an individual's actions while under the influence. To bring a child into an environment where meth addicts are coming in and out of the home continuously (and an environment where weapons are present, at that) is infuriating.

I didn't know the mother knew, that's so reckless. However, I do think that raids like these should be better planned/executed. Perhaps through closer surveillance prior to minimize instances like these. My Aunt once stayed with her friend and unbeknownst to my aunt her friends son had been involved in some colourful activities and the house was raided whilst my aunt slept on the sofa. It really shook her.

I didn't know the mother knew, that's so reckless. However, I do think that raids like these should be better planned/executed. Perhaps through closer surveillance prior to minimize instances like these. My Aunt once stayed with her friend and unbeknownst to my aunt her friends son had been involved in some colourful activities and the house was raided whilst my aunt slept on the sofa. It really shook her.

Yeah, she stated that she and the father knew that there was drug activity in the home, and would take their children to another room while a deal was occurring. Earlier that day the suspect had sold meth to an informant, who had surveyed the area during the deal and reported to cops that there was no evidence of children in the home at the time (hence the use of the tactics they did). They attempted to break through the front door using a battering ram, however were met with resistance and thought someone was blocking the door. Turns out it was the playpen:(

Yeah, she stated that she and the father knew that there was drug activity in the home, and would take their children to another room while a deal was occurring. Earlier that day the suspect had sold meth to an informant, who had surveyed the area during the deal and reported to cops that there was no evidence of children in the home at the time (hence the use of the tactics they did). They attempted to break through the front door using a battering ram, however were met with resistance and thought someone was blocking the door. Turns out it was the playpen:(

She used her child as blockade essentially. What is her fate? I really hope that boy is placed with loving and caring people and she faces serious consequences.

She used her child as blockade essentially. What is her fate? I really hope that boy is placed with loving and caring people and she faces serious consequences.

From what I read the mother wasn't involved. Their house had just burned down and the dealer (a relative) was letting them stay there… but she did know about the drug deals. The dealer should face some serious consequences I hope.

Correct, I believe it was the father's sister who they were staying with. I was only mentioning the position of the playpen to explain how they accidentally threw it in there. I would assume they believed that someone was intentionally blocking the door, and wanted to use the flash bang to temporarily disable their senses so they could enter the house.

Perhaps the Mother really didnt have any other option of somewhere to stay? So she took a chance? I understand its not a safe enviroment but i also feel for a woman whose house had burned down, was left to stay with a drug dealing relative as potentially her last option and now this has happened to her baby?

I still can't get around the idea that such a dangerous weapon was so readily used. :nope:

From what I've read, the flash bang was used because they were given information that there were potentially armed "guards" who watched over the house and property. I would assume they used it after realizing their presence was detected (the "barricade") and were trying to disable the suspect to avoid a firefight.

Aaah i see i guess its hard for me to get living in England? I cant imagine it happening here if you know what i mean?

Oh completely! This happened not too far from where I live. The meth problem in this state is horrible, and from what I've heard regarding raids in the past, exercising extreme caution is typically justified. Meth makes people do crazy things:-/

It is terribly tragic what happened though:( I feel for all people involved. The baby, the mother (yes she made a bad choice, but no one deserves that), and the police officers. They have received death threats apparently, and I'm sure they were already suffering extreme mental anguish the second they realized what had happened:(

Who places a playpen right by the door though? Is this common practice in the states? I would think that someone who knew the circumstances surrounding the house (drug dealing) would at least attempt to place their child as far from potential harm as possible and not by the front door.

I just feel like there is more to this story than is being reported.

Who places a playpen right by the door though? Is this common practice in the states? I would think that someone who knew the circumstances surrounding the house (drug dealing) would at least attempt to place their child as far from potential harm as possible and not by the front door.

I just feel like there is more to this story than is being reported.

It's not a common practice, but since they were a whole family that suddenly moved into someone else's house maybe there just wasn't room elsewhere to put the playpen? Hopefully it wasn't actually intended to block the door. :(

I just think this is so awful :( Very stupid to chuck things like that into a room when you can't see who or what is in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->