Sweep and being induced :(

MrsNorbs87

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

Just after abit of reassurance really feeling alittle scared and I know im being silly. Im currently 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant. Have been told throughout my pregnancy (first baby) that he is going to be huge, at my 36 week scan he was estimated to be 8lbs already so they think he will be 10lbs (although ive since found out how these scans are not always accurate). Anyway ive been scared s*itless by them all that hes going to huge and that I wont be able to do it naturally etc and will need a c section, which I really DID NOT want.

I went and saw the consultant today to discuss birthing options and ended up having a sweep and being booked in for induction next Tuesday, when I'll be 39 weeks and 2 days. This all seems to have happened so quickly and as excited as I am, im also now bricking it. I have read soooo many horror stories about being induced, I know everyone is different but feel that being induced 1 week early cant be right. This is all because hes predicted to be on the big side and because of my BMI. I am super nervous and apprehensive, any words of reassurance would be appreciated, thanks ladies xx

Hi,

I was induced at 41+5 but I did have a big baby, mine did end in a c-section which before I was induced had nightmares about. Just relax and go with the flow is the best thing I can say. Everything I was dreading happened but my LO is now 9 weeks old and she was worth every second, in fact we have already discussed when to try for the second. :happydance:

I hope that helps I did not want to worry you more, I just wish I was more prepared that a c-section might happen and that it's not so bad :hugs:

Hey hun, aw I can understand you're scared :hugs:

How about doing all you can between now and then to get your body ready? I'd highly recommend going to a health shop and getting some morning primrose oil capsules and taking one in the morning, and inserting one vaginally every night as you go to bed. This will really help your cervix mature and maybe make things go more smoothly.
Also, do you have a birth ball? if you do.. get bouncing.. that will help things along too. Anything to give you a head start is great :)

I have heard lots of positive induction stories that end really well hun, I hope everything goes well :hugs:

Hi Hun I was induced with 2 of mine one at 42 weeks and 1 at 38 weeks both went fine labour was 1 hour 20 min with first and 6 hours second time. Both went really smoothly and I was home within 24 hours of going in with both. Good luck x x

My little girl was estimated to be 8lb 15oz at my 36 week scan, but it's never been mentioned that she will be too big for me to give birth to naturally. These scans aren't always accurate as you know hehe I was absolutely cacking my pants at the thought of having a massive baby at first but I'm just going to wait and see how I get on, I'm not worried about her size anymore as my midwife and a lot of ladies on here have reassured me otherwise about the accuracy of scans, and my midwife having felt through bump the size of my little girl to her seems about average and reckons she will be about 8/9lb at the most.

I've got a sweep booked next Wednesday when I'll be 40+2 fingers crossed it kicks something off as I really don't think she will be making an appearance by herself before then haha

Good luck chick!! xxx

A suspected large baby really isn't the best reason to be induced, regardless of your BMI and whether it's high or low. No one can determine from feeling your bone structure if you can deliver a large baby or not; I've seen multiple 10-11 lb babies delivered vaginally with no tears and minimal pushing. The real question is what is your cervix doing ie are you dialated? effaced? First time moms who are induced have a 50% of having a c-section. Sometimes you can't help it (pre-eclampsia, diabetes, etc.) but LGA (large for gestational age) isn't really the best indication, as I mentioned above. Your baby will be perfectly healthly to be delivered at 39 -- no complications there as term is 37 weeks and beyond. I just wouldn't want your cervix to be unfavorable (closed and thick) as you are setting yourself up for a c-section regardless of your baby's size. A safer & more productive way to help thin out your cervix is to have sex. I know, easier said than done. But semen contains a prostaglandin hormone that actually helps to dialate and efface your cervix. Mother Nature at her best!

i was induced at 40+10 with ds2 had him 40+11 less than 8 hours later lol my cervix didnt look favorable at all for the whole 10 days i was overdue but that gel worked its magic. my mw and i think it was my body holding it back caus i was acutely anemic and unaware of how bad it was so my body was doing its thing and protecting me first stopping me producing the right hormone, caus once that hormone was put in me artifically i was on my way really quick and it was an easy labor and birth

Oh and ds2 was 10lb 12oz but longer rather than chubbier

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->