swimming or running

missk1989

Reaction score
I am trying to loose weight and belly fat. Not much. About half a stone and then tone up. My DH keeps telling me to go running but I hate running and it is weather dependant. Too hot or raining and i just wont do it. I also struggle to run more than five minutes. Can I lose weight swimming? Which would you do?

Running is one of the best sports you can do for losing weight, I would imagine you'd have to spend a lot more time swimming to equal the same work done running, but swimming is great for overall toning and gentler on your body. Why don't you mix it up with both? Swim on the rainy days lol :)

As above has said running is one of the best ways to lose body fat, for belly fat combine running with crunches and you'll notice a big difference in the end :thumbup:
Swimming is good for you though, you'll be surprised how much it'll tone you up if you do it regularly because it uses so many muscles at once. Is there any swimming aerobics groups you could join maybe? My friend goes to one since having her baby and loves it.

Any exercise is good, it's just running probably burns more calories in the same time frame as swimming.

I hate running too but I do it from time to time at the gym on the treadmill. That and some abdominal based exercises will really help.

Defo running. Try the couch to 10k app for your phone. I started it in march as I had a 10k mud run in June, I've never exercised before other than the odd bit every now and then. The first time I went out I ran for 30secs and thought I was dying... I completed the 10k in June which I was soooo proud of doing!
Running is easy too as you can literally decide to do it whenever!

Try the couch to 5k running app. I have done it before and i wasnt a runner. Couldnt run more than 30 seconds lol. After doing the app i could run 30 mins without stopping. I am going to be starting it again from monday cus i have sort of let myself go cus been through a lot lately. So now time to not dwell and get my arse up. Running is a lot better cus u lose more calories. I will be doing my running at gym. I am visually impaired so dont like running my roads etc

As above has said running is one of the best ways to lose body fat, for belly fat combine running with crunches and you'll notice a big difference in the end :thumbup:
Swimming is good for you though, you'll be surprised how much it'll tone you up if you do it regularly because it uses so many muscles at once. Is there any swimming aerobics groups you could join maybe? My friend goes to one since having her baby and loves it.

I want to do swimming aerobics. I will be finding out if my swimming bathes do it :)

Suppose I should get some trainers then! I dont actually own a pair at the moment!

Swimming is so incredibly boring! You only burn about 200 calories an hour and an hour swimming feels like forever! Running is hard but gets results. I recommend power walking. Not too hard, enjoyable if you walk somewhere nice, and burns about 250 calories an hour.

With running you don't need to be joined a swiiming pool, it does not cost anything you basically just have to open your front door and off you go!!

You could get yourself a cheap set of dumbbells or a kettlebell, and do weight training instead.... Weight training boosts your metabolism, and you can carry on burning fat for up to 2 days after you've trained (depending on what you do, obviously). With running, swimming, and walking there's no 'after burn' effect, so you stop burning calories as soon as you stop exercising.
Just a thought :)
Xx

You could get yourself a cheap set of dumbbells or a kettlebell, and do weight training instead.... Weight training boosts your metabolism, and you can carry on burning fat for up to 2 days after you've trained (depending on what you do, obviously). With running, swimming, and walking there's no 'after burn' effect, so you stop burning calories as soon as you stop exercising.
Xx

Actually there is an after burn effect with cardio.

Xx

There is with interval training, but not steady state cardio.

You get a better after burn with full body weight training.

Www.metaboliceffect.com/hormonal-weight-loss

Edited to add link.

Thanks ladies. I have downloaded the couch to 5k app as a starting point
and will get a good pair of trainers. We have some weights in the garage so I might do a bit of that too.

Swimming is good for all muscles and theres not much to do wrong :)

Thanks ladies. I have downloaded the couch to 5k app as a starting point
and will get a good pair of trainers. We have some weights in the garage so I might do a bit of that too.
Xero shoes are the best for running.
https://xeroshoes.co.uk/about-us/

Xx

Edited to add link.

Cardio significantly boosts your metabolism so you continue to burn quite a few more calories after a run. Someone who runs for an hour a day needs more than just a 500 calorie increase.

Xx

Edited to add link.

Cardio significantly boosts your metabolism so you continue to burn quite a few more calories after a run. Someone who runs for an hour a day needs more than just a 500 calorie increase.

I'm not going to argue with you but, if you read the link I posted, you'll see how it backs up what I said about 'after burn' or EPOC. I don't know about much, bit I know what I'm talking about when it comes to exercise.
Besides, not everybody can physically run for an hour a day, and most training programmes would discourage you from doing so.
Steady state cardio can also increase cortisol levels, which can lead to increased fat storage around the middle.

Power walking id go for personally and set a goal. Why not moonwalk train? I lost all my baby weight in under 8 weeks and changed shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->