swimming

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
my son is being passed from pillar to post whilst we try and arrange swimming lessons for him.
hes 3 and very water confident. hes being assessed possibly for adhd and or aspergers or similar. i took him for a group lesson which i thought hed struggle in and they said he needs 1-2-1 so i take him for 1-2-1 and they say hes too young for 1-2-1 as in he needs someone familiar in the water with him (which i think is a pile of twaddle).

anyone been thru similar or got any advice or suggestions?

We struggled to get lessons for Abby but eventually found an instructor who does lessons for her age group where the parents are in the water with the children. She's just turned 4. The lessons were really good. Ate you looking for something which has him in the pool without an adult? Because I do feel at 3 that's too young for any child.

Any lesson that accommodates him is fine by me. I dont think he's worried about me not being with him in the water in the slightest. He's to caught up in the fun. It would be easier if I wasn't as I have another wee one to look after and would have to put her in care whilst I swim with my LB.

The swimming lessons we took don't use floatation aids like armbands and stuff. This is why there is an adult with each child. I can't see why 1-2-1 with an adult instructor should be a problem, if he's generally comfortable with people. I would assume you would be there at the poolside if that were happening anyway? There are bound to be loads of people locally who do swimming lessons. We did find it needs to be a private swimming instructor rather than a council run one, they tend to be more strict with rules and stuff. There will be someone who isn't afraid of his condition, which may well be why they are fobbing you off. We approached 3 different ones before we found someone who was willing to accept Abby. They all had loads of "reasons" which really were just excuses.

If there's one thing I've learned, is that at times you really do have to kick up a stink about things. We originally registered Claire for 1:1 swim lessons, but her class ended up only being her and one other kiddo so she's fine without the added support.

I know its cliched but the squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease. I'm not sure how it is with your area, but here we had to pay for the 1:1 support. I'd be firm and explain that with having another kiddo that you need to look after, and if you are paying for it all the same that you want the extra support.

I personally find swimming is a necessity and a life skill, very important. :flower: Especially since kiddos on the spectrum are drawn to water. Good luck!

Have you approached your local leisure centre? My son is 3 in August and will be able to start swimming lessons (without me in the water) then. They class it as a "pre-school swimming lesson" class, couldnt find anything online so we went into the leisure centre to ask and they were very helpful. Hope you get it sorted :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->